Showing 95 results

Authority Record
Corporate body (Dalhousie University)

Canada. Canadian Army Medical Corps. Canadian Stationary Hospital, no. 7

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1915-1920
The Dalhousie No. 7 Overseas Stationary Hospital came into being as a result of the university's fifth-year medical students volunteering their collective services to the war effort in August 1914. President Mackenzie wrote to the War Office with an offer on behalf of Dalhousie to raise, staff and equip a stationary hospital similar to those recruited from other Canadian universities. Twice rejected, in September 1915 Dalhousie’s proposal was finally authorized and two months later the hospital was mobilized, having recruited a staff of 165. Of the twelve medical officers, most were Dalhousie graduates or faculty, while many of the 27 nurses were graduates of the Victoria General Hospital, including Matron Laura Hubley. Fourteen enrolled students and nine alumni joined the unit as privates. The newly formed unit was given the University’s former Medical College Building as training quarters, and on 31 December 1915, the No. 7 embarked from St. John, New Brunswick. Under the command of John Stewart, later Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, from May 1917 to April 1918, the No. 7 served in the “Evacuation Zone,” where patients transferred from front-line clearing hospitals were treated and stabilized before being moved to hospitals in their own countries. The medical officers and nurses nurses returned to Halifax in May 1919. The stationary hospital was disbanded by General Order 211 of 15 November 1920.

Class of 1931

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1927 - 1931

Dalhousie University. Arts Centre.

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)

In the 1970s and early 1980s Dalhousie Cultural Activities referred to the department responsible for operating the Dalhousie Arts Centre and the university program of arts related activities it oversaw.

Senate Standing Committee on Cultural Activities

The department originated from a Senate Standing Committee on Cultural Activities created in 1964 to coordinate arts events on campus. The committee worked with three arts advisory sub-committees (one each for music, art, and theatre) and was Dalhousie’s first coordinated approach to cultural activity planning on campus. In addition to organizing specific events such as concert series, exhibitions, and workshops, the committee pressured senior administration to build a university centre for the arts which would house teaching and office space, an auditorium, a theatre, and a gallery.

General Committee on Cultural Activities

The Senate dissolved the committee two years later in favour of creating a formal university committee with a similar mandate. In 1966 President Hicks selected the members of the new General Committee on Cultural Activities which would be directly responsible to him. This committee continued to work with subcommittees who were allocated their own budgets and who were responsible for programming in specific areas: art, music, and theatre (a film subcommittee was also added in 1969). Members of the general committee included the chairmen of the sub-committees, students, alumni, representatives from the theatre and music departments, faculty, and other members from the community.

In addition to developing and overseeing a well-rounded, university wide, cultural activity program on campus, the general committee was also involved with the development of the Dalhousie Arts Centre. The committee provided input on layout and design, set priorities for completion, and helped determine how the new facility would be managed. The committee played a pivotal role in securing a coordinator for the centre and professional director for the gallery. John Cripton was hired to be the university’s first coordinator of cultural activities while Dr. Earnest Smith was appointed director of the gallery.

Dalhousie Cultural Activities

The committee evolved again with the opening of the Arts Centre in 1970. Both administrators were given seats on the general committee as ex-officio members and the department now became known collectively as Dalhousie Cultural Activities. Still responsible for providing a rounded cultural program, the general committee now also determined the policies of the Dalhousie Arts Centre and oversaw the activities of the coordinator. The new coordinator was responsible to the general committee and for administering the arts centre with the teaching programs in mind; cooperating with similar organizations in the community; preparing activity programs for the approval of the general committee; negotiating bookings for visiting performers; managing the daily activities of the centre and its staff; preparing budgets for committee approval; and publishing event calendars.

Although an executive committee was formed in 1976 to help manage the affairs of the centre, the committee structure began to break down by the 1980s. Many of the sub-committees, the general committee, and the executive committee were meeting rarely and lacked enthusiasm, in part due to severe budget cuts and the growing complexity of operating the department. As a result, in 1984 the general committee was dissolved and the coordinator of cultural activities became directly responsible for the Arts Centre, liaising with the Art Gallery and other departments, and reporting to the vice president, finance and development.

Dalhousie Arts Centre

In 1985 Dalhousie Cultural Activities formally changed its name to the Dalhousie Arts Centre. As of 2006, the department continues to be responsible for the administration of the arts centre and remains one of four autonomous departments (the others being the Art Gallery, and the music and theatre departments) within the facility, responsible for managing the Rebecca Cohn Auditorium and three reception rooms. Thirty-five years after opening, the centre maintains a vibrant arts program for the university and greater Halifax community.

Chief Officers

Known chairmen of the General Committee of Cultural Activities include C.B. Weld (ca. 1966-1968), Malcolm Ross (ca. 1969-1971), George Nicholls (ca. 1972-1974), Rowland Smith (ca. 1975-1976), and Sonia Jones (ca. 1976-1980).

Coordinators of the Arts Centre include John Cripton (1970-1973), Erik Perth (1973-1984), John Wilkes (1984-1987), Murray Farr (1987-1988), Robert Reinholdt (1988-1989), and Heather McGean (200?).

Dalhousie University. Board of Governors

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1821 -

The Board of Governors is responsible for the overall conduct, management, administration and control of the property, revenue and business of Dalhousie University.

On 11 December 1817 Lord Dalhousie made a submission to his Council proposing the establishment of a college in Halifax, naming an interim Board of Trustees made up of the lieutenant governor (himself); the chief justice, the Anglican bishop; the provincial treasurer; and the Speaker of the Assembly (later adding the minister of St Matthews Church).

Two years later, in the face of mounting building debt, it was expedient to incorporate the governors of the college, which comprised Lord Dalhousie (now the Governor General of North America); Sir James Kempt (the current Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia); the Anglican Bishop of Nova Scotia; the chief justice; the treasurer of the province; the Speaker of the Assembly; and the president of the college (who was yet to be named). The 1821 Act was passed, incorporating the governors of Dalhousie College and beginning Dalhousie’s legal existence.

By August 1838, due to deaths, resignations and absences, the board was reduced to three: the lieutenant-governor, the treasurer of the province and the Speaker of the House. Despite disagreement and opposition, the board appointed three professors for the college’s first term, including Thomas McCulloch as president. In 1840 the Dalhousie Act reconfigured the board established by the Act of 1821. The Governor General of North America, the chief justice and all other ex-officio members were dropped, with the exception of the lieutenant governor and the president of Dalhousie College. Twelve new members were named and it was decided that future vacancies would be selected by the Legislative Council, with two members chosen by the Assembly and one by the Council. If cumbersome, the new 17-member board was more representative across political and religious spheres than earlier renditions. In 1842 the board drew up rules of governance, including age of admission and requirements for the Bachelor of Arts, and laid down principles of liberality with regard to religious affiliation. They reduced professorial salaries and tried to clarify their rights to the Grand Parade. Despite their renewed efforts, Dalhousie closed its doors in 1844 following the death of Thomas McCulloch.

The 1848 Dalhousie Act reduced the Board of Governors to between five and seven members to be appointed by the governor-in-council, and William Young, Joseph Howe, Hugh Bell, James Avery, William Grigor, Andrew MacKinlay and John Naylor were named to the board. Their efforts to make Dalhousie useful and solvent included opening it first as a collegiate school, then as a high school, and finally as a small university in union with Gorham College in Liverpool, England. None of these was successful and by 1862 the Board was down to four members and had not met in two years.

Three new appointments were made to the board along with amendments granting it greater authority, and in 1863 a new Dalhousie College Act was passed that gave the board power to appoint all college officers, including the president and professors, and, while internal governance was the responsibility of an academic senate, their rules were subject to board approval. The college was reconstituted as a university, conferring bachelors, master and doctoral degrees. In November 1863 Dalhousie College opened under the new board.

Dalhousie University. College of Arts and Science

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1988-
The College of Arts and Science was established in 1988 to oversee the newly formed Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences that emerged as a result of the 1987 Smith Report, which recommended the division of the former Faculty of Arts and Science.

Dalhousie University. Dalhousie Art Gallery.

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1953-

For over fifty years the Dalhousie Art Gallery has been offering a diverse program of exhibitions, films, lectures and artists' presentations, serving as a cultural resource to the university and its community.

Prior to the establishment of the physical gallery, the University Art Group was formed by faculty members and administers in 1943. Housed in an ad-hoc space in the science department, the group sponsored exhibitions, screened films and loaned out its small collections of art reproductions. They also joined the Maritime Art Association, which enabled them to host travelling exhibitions from the National Gallery as well as to promote Maritime artists across other regions of Canada.

The Dalhousie Art Gallery was officially opened in October 1953 in a single room in the Arts and Administration Building, run by a volunteer committee of faculty members. The same year marked the beginning of the annual Student, Staff, Faculty and Alumni Exhibition, which both showcased Dalhousie’s talent and firmly identified the Gallery as a university facility.

During the 1950s and 1960s the University Art Gallery underwent rapid expansion in its collections and programming. In 1963 Classics professor Mirko Usmiani served as Honorary Curator, succeeded the following year by Evelyn Holmes, who was appointed as Acting Curator. Since 1972 the gallery has employed a series of professionally qualified directors, curators and registrar-preparators, assisted by part-time staff and volunteers and guided by an advisory committee of individuals from across the university and community.

In the early 1970s the Art Gallery held exhibitions in the Killam Library, but in November 1971 it moved into its current home in the newly built Dalhousie Arts Centre. The permanent exhibition area and work and storage spaces enabled the gallery to establish itself as a credible cultural organization, able to meet international standards for displaying and handling works of art. The move also allowed for the expansion and care for the gallery’s permanent collection.

The University Senate officially approved the gallery as an Academic Support Unit in 1985. In 1994, threatened with closure due to funding cuts, the gallery was saved by a donation from Dalhousie alumnus, John Scrymgeour. Currently the gallery’s operating budget is paid by the university and supplemented by an endowment fund. Additional financial support for programming is achieved through provincial and national grants.

Dalhousie University. Dalhousie University Debating Society.

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
The Dalhousie University Debating Society was formed in 1879 as SODALES, and was the first general-interest society on campus. Membership is open to students from both Dalhousie University and the University of King’s College, and the club is a founding member of Canadian University Society for Intercollegiate Debate (CUSID).

Dalhousie University. Facilities Management

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
In the University calendars published from 1869 –1907, below the list of members of the Board of Governors, Senate and teaching faculty, are the names of the university librarian, the instructor in gymnastics, and the single janitor responsible for maintaining and cleaning the college building. By 1929, the position had been elevated to the Engineer in Charge of Building and Grounds, who was an Officer of Administration, alongside positions such as the university president, deans and registrar. In 1975 a vice president of University Services was responsible for overseeing the work of both the University Planner and the Director of the Physical Plant, and in 1988 the overall unit became known as Physical Plant and Planning, which was renamed Facilities Management in 1998.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Agriculture

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 2012-
Home to a working farm, 1000 acres of research fields, gardens and greenhouses, the Faculty of Agriculture was established in September 2012 with the merger of the century-old Nova Scotia College of Agriculture (NSAC) and Dalhousie University. The institutions were first affiliated in 1985 by an academic agreement for degree granting purposes in association with Dalhousie and representation by NSAC on the Dalhousie Senate. This agreement was expanded in the 1990s to include MSc and PhD degrees and, after the June 2012 merger, the former NSAC campus in Bible Hill, Nova Scotia, became home to the university’s Faculty of Agriculture.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Architecture and Planning

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1997-

The Faculty of Architecture was established on 1 April 1997 with the merger of the Technical University of Nova Scotia (TUNS) and Dalhousie University. It was the outgrowth of the first school of architecture in Atlantic Canada, which opened at the Nova Scotia Technical College in 1961, sharing a building on Spring Garden Road with the Nova Scotia Museum of Science. During the 1960s the professional architecture program began, consisting of two years of engineering at one of seven Maritime universities, followed by four years at the School of Architecture, leading to a BArch degree. In 1969 the engineering prerequisite was changed to two years in any university subject.

In 1970 the School of Architecture took over the entire building and initiated the trimester system and co-op work term program. In 1973 the architecture portion of the professional program included a two-year pre-professional degree (later called Bachelor of Environmental Design Studies) and a two-year professional BArch degree. The BArch program was validated by the Commonwealth Association of Architects and a one-year, post-professional Master of Architecture program was offered. In 1976 the NSTC Faculty of Architecture was established, with the School of Architecture continuing as a constituent part of the Faculty. The main floor of the building was renovated, including the addition of a mezzanine for faculty offices. The Master of Urban and Rural Planning program was first offered in 1977. In 1978 the Department of Urban and Rural Planning was established within the Faculty of Architecture, becoming the School of Planning in 2001.

In the early 1980s, after the Nova Scotia Technical College had become the Technical University of Nova Scotia, the building's studio level was renovated and mezzanines were added. In the mid-1980s the professional program was transformed, leading to a two-year MArch (first professional) degree with a thesis component. The school began to participate in overseas activities with the International Laboratory for Architecture and Urban Design (ILAUD) and external adjuncts and examiners were appointed. In the late 1980s the Faculty opened a publishing department, Tuns Press, to produce architecture and planning publications. An arrangement with Apple Canada introduced an initial fleet of computers for student use. In 1989 a one-year, non-professional Master of Environmental Design Studies degree was offered.

In 1993, following an international design competition, the first phase of a new addition designed by Brian MacKay-Lyons was built in the rear courtyard of the existing building. In a second phase in 2002, upper floors for studios were added inside the addition. In 1994 the School's professional architecture program became the first in Canada to receive full accreditation from the Canadian Architectural Certification Board. Full accreditation was granted again in 1999, 2004, 2009 and 2015. In 1997, a decision by the Nova Scotia government to amalgamate universities led the three faculties of the Technical University of Nova Scotia (Architecture, Engineering, and Computer Science) to become part of Dalhousie University. In 2001 the Faculty of Architecture was renamed the Faculty of Architecture and Planning.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1988 -

The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences was established on 1 July 1988, composed of humanities and social science departments within the former Faculty of Arts and Science. The restructuring of the Faculty began in 1986 with the establishment of a committee to consider its future direction. The Smith Report, drafted in 1987 by Rowland Smith, McCulloch Professor of English and Acting Dean of Arts and Science, recommended the division of the Faculty, which was followed by a faculty-wide referendum resulting in marginal favour of the decision.

The earliest university calendar lists only a Faculty of Arts. However, to obtain a Bachelor of Arts degree, students were first required to pass matriculation examinations in classics, mathematics and English, while subsequent classes included rhetoric, logic and psychology, natural philosophy (experimental physics), modern languages, metaphysics, chemistry, ethics, political economy, and history. MA degrees were granted on completion of a thesis on a literary, scientific or professional subject.

In 1878 a Department of Science was established in connection with the Faculty of Arts, and in 1880 the university calendar lists a Faculty of Science. By 1906, the university calendars refer to a single Faculty of Arts and Science, a title which lasted until the administrative division in 1988.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Canadian Studies Program

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1998-
Canadian Studies is an academic program that reaches across departments and faculties to expand students’ understanding of Canada from multiple perspectives, including historical, economic, political, literary, and sociological. Beginning in 1998, Canadian Studies was based upon a strong tradition of research and teaching in a wide range of Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences and Faculty of Science departments and in other associated faculties and professional schools such as Health Professions, Law, and the University of King’s College School of Journalism.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Department of Classics

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1924-
The study of classics was at the core of the Dalhousie College curriculum from the beginning and continued to be so, albeit in a slightly diminished form, right through the middle of the twentieth century. While the establishment of the first chair in classics, Professor John Johnson, occurred when Dalhousie reopened as a university in 1863, it was 1924 when McLeod Professor Howard Murray (pictured above) was appointed head of a Department of Classics. In 2009 the department absorbed the former Department of Religious Studies and in 2017 began also to administer the Arabic Studies Program.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Department of Classics. Religious Studies Program

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1971-
Religious Studies became a program within the Department of Classics in 2009. Prior to that, religion was a small but independent department approved by Senate in the late 1960s and established in 1971, and during its last two decades going by the name Comparative Religion. The program offers an academic, non-confessional discipline that examines the world's religious cultures and expressions, both historical and contemporary.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Department of English

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1925-
James de Mille was appointed the first Professor of History and Rhetoric at Dalhousie University in 1865, but the introduction of English literary studies to Canadian universities as a separate discipline started in 1882 with the appointment of Jacob Gould Sherman as Munro Professor of English Language and Literature. He was replaced two years later by W.J. Alexander, who was succeeded by Archibald MacMechan, who taught until his retirement in 1931. It was not until 1925 that the university calendar indicates an actual English department, alongside MacMechan's name as its head.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Department of French

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1973-
The Department of French was formally established by Senate in 1973, but French language—and later literature—was taught at Dalhousie almost from its beginnings. In 1843, the Dalhousie Board of Governors hired a professor of modern languages to teach French, Italian and Spanish. However, the newly appointed Lorenzo Lacoste met an untimely death shortly before the first Dalhousie College itself floundered and shut down. When the college reopened in 1863, French and German were offered under the heading of modern languages. In 1866 James Liechti was hired as a tutor, and in 1883 he was appointed McLeod professor of modern languages, by which time students were required to take two years of either French or German to receive a BA degree. In 1957 the Department of Modern Languages ceased to exist, and French came under the auspices of the Department of Romance Languages. In 1972 Senate passed a motion to establish an independent Department of French, although the French faculty had been acting as a de facto department for decades.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Department of German

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1957-
German has been taught at Dalhousie since 1863, when it was offered under the heading of modern languages. In 1865 James Liechti was hired as a language tutor, and in 1883 he was appointed McLeod professor of modern languages, by which time students were required to take two years of either French or German to receive a BA degree. When the Department of Modern Languages was replaced in 1957 by a Department of Romance Languages, German began to be listed independently in the university calendar and treated as a de facto department. It took another decade before an acting head of German was appointed (in 1966), and the department did not receive formal recognition from Senate until 1970.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Department of International Development Studies

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 2001-
International Development Studies at Dalhousie began in 1985 as an interdisciplinary program in association with faculty at Saint Mary's University. In 2001, David Black was named as chair and the program was granted departmental status. It is considered to offer one of Canada's finest development studies programs and aims to foster greater understanding of social justice, human rights, and equality, both globally and locally, through study, research and cross-cultural learning experiences.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Department of Music

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1968-2014

The Department of Music had its origins in an affiliation between the Halifax Conservatory and Dalhousie dating back to 1889. The Conservatory offered a licentiate diploma and a Bachelor in Music degree, as did the Maritime Academy of Music, founded in 1934. The association with Dalhousie continued after the two music schools amalgamated in 1954 as the Maritime Conservatory of Music and, from 1949 until the mid 1960s, elective music appreciation classes and ensemble groups at Dalhousie were organized by Harold Hamer.

The Dalhousie Department of Music was established in 1968 and began offering practical instruction and theory: instrumental lessons and voice coaching were expanded in 1975 under the leadership of Peter Fletcher. While the initial aim of the department was to produce students of a high practical ability, by the late 1970s the department's mandate was to train prospective professional musicians, performers, composers and critics. The 1971 opening of the Dalhousie Arts Centre greatly enhanced teaching and performance capacity, as the new building offered performance halls, practice rooms and a piano lab. Imported instructors were replaced with both part-time and full-time faculty, and the department sponsored both professional and community ensembles such as the Dalhousie Chorale, the Dalhousie Opera Workshop and Musica Antiqua.

Beginning in 1977 the department offered four-year Bachelor of Music and Bachelor of Music Education degrees and a five-year integrated degree program. Further academic programs included a pre-baccalaureate foundational studies program and a B Mus curriculum in organ and church music in collaboration with the Atlantic School of Theology and the community churches of the RCCO. Other programs were offered in collaboration with Henson College and the Department of Theatre.

In 2014 the Department of Music became a program in the Fountain School of Performing Arts.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Department of Philosophy

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1925-
Philosophy has been taught at Dalhousie since 1838 with the appointment of the college's first principal and professor of moral philosophy, Thomas McCulloch. In Dalhousie's early curriculum, philosophy was a required subject for the BA degree, and when Dalhousie reopened as a university in 1863, William Lyall was hired as professor of metaphysics. A decade later, he became the first Munro Professor of Logic and Psychology, and in 1884 Jacob Gould Schurman was appointed Munro Professor of Metaphysics. After Lyall's death in 1891, both positions were folder into a single chair, and James Seth became the first Munro Professor of Philosophy. However it was not until 1925 that Herbert Leslie Stewart became head of an actual department of philosophy. Since then, the department has been led by many notable figures, including George Grant, Roland Puccetti, David Braybrooke and Susan Sherwin.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Department of Political Science.

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
The Department of Political Science is part of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at Dalhousie University. The Department is home for the Centre for the Study of Security and Development which is involved in international projects such as The Romeo Dallaire Child Soldiers Initiative and Jean Monnet European Union Centre of Excellence.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Department of Russian Studies

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1971-
Dalhousie began offering Russian language classes in 1945, promoting the study of Russian as important for students expecting to read foreign scientific periodicals—thus the course in "Scientific Russian" that was offered alongside elementary Russian for the first few decades. The classes initially were listed under the loosely formed Department of Modern Languages, which later became the Department of Romance Languages. Officially recognized by Senate in 1971 as an independent department, the Russian faculty had been functioning as a department since 1962, having a discrete budget and an acting chairman. During the following decades the program grew to include the study of Russian history and literature and the department's name was changed to Russian Studies.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1966-

The Department of Sociology and Anthropology was established in October 1966 after hiving off from the Department of Economics and Sociology. The creation of an independent department was the initiative of sociology professor John Graham, with the support of H.B.S. Cooke, Dean of Arts and Science. The department grew rapidly from 1969-1972, with an increase in teaching staff from six to 22.

It was renamed Sociology and Social Anthropology in December 1977 following a departmental review that articulated the divergences and tensions between the sociologists and anthropologists in terms of disciplinary interests and resource allocation. The change in name from anthropology to social anthropology was seen as an affirmation of the department’s intellectual coherence and unity. The department continues to draw on the strengths of both disciplines—sociology and social anthropology—by recognizing their distinct intellectual and methodological heritages, while emphasizing how they complement each other.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Department of Spanish and Latin American Studies

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1973-

The Spanish Department was established in 1973 and in 2010 its name and teaching mandate expanded to include Latin American Studies.

As early as 1843, the Dalhousie Board of Governors hired a professor of modern languages—French, Italian and Spanish. However, the newly appointed Lorenzo Lacoste met an untimely death shortly before Dalhousie College itself floundered and shut down. When the college reopened in 1863, only French and German were offered under the heading of modern languages. Spanish 1 first appears as a course in the 1921/22 university calendar, although a lecturer in Spanish was hired the year before. It remained a singular course for some time: Spanish 2 was added in 1928/29 and Spanish 3 in 1932/34. Around 1930 the university calendars started to group Spanish along with German and French—and later Russian—under the Department of Modern Languages, which in 1957/58 became the Department of Romance Languages, a department not recognized officially by Senate until 1970. Soon after that a proposal to organize Spanish as an independent department was passed by Senate and the Department of Spanish is first listed in the 1973/74 calendar.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Department of Theatre

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1969-2014

Dalhousie's Department of Theatre developed out of the Dalhousie Drama Workshop, which was formed in 1963 by then recently appointed Professor of English John Ripley, who offered it as an adjunct to his English 9 (History of Drama) class. The following year, Susan Vallance was hired as an instructor, working jointly for the Education and the English departments and teaching Child Drama, the first credit course in any performance-based class. In 1965 theatre historian Lionel Lawrence came to Dalhousie, and in 1966 four credit courses in theatre were offered in the newly established Drama Division within the Department of English. In 1967/1968 a BA in Drama and Theatre was offered, and in 1968 the Senate agreed to separate the study of drama from the Department of English, and Alan Andrews left alongside to serve as the inaugural chair of the new Department of Theatre.

In its first few years, the department's offerings were largely theoretical and not designed to train students for the professional theatre, but with the 1971 opening of the Dalhousie Arts Centre, the capacity for offering practical instruction changed. The new building included a designated wing for theatre studies that housed the James Dunn Theatre, two teaching/performance studios, and costume and set workshops. In the 1973/1974 university calendar, the department description emphasized the nature of theatre as a performing art and offered its first degree credit classes in acting. The department began to develop collaborative relationships with local theatres, including Neptune, and teaching faculty included Canada Council Artists-in Residence such as Fred Allen and Nancey Pankiw (1974) and Robert Doyle (1977).

In 1975 the department began to offer a BA Honours degree in three streams—general, acting and scenography—and by 1976 all theatre students were expected to be involved regularly in either acting or in other areas of production work. With the support of Robert Doyle, in 1976 the department launched a three-year diploma program in Costumes Studies, which in 2005 started to be offered as a four-year Honours BA in Theatre (Costume Studies).

The Department of Theatre, along with the Department of Music, became a program within the Fountain School of Performing Arts in 2014.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Gender and Women's Studies program

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1998-

In 1975 the newly formed Dalhousie Women’s Organization proposed the establishment of a women’s studies program. It was 1982 before such a program was approved by Senate, and it was further delayed by the Maritime Provinces Higher Education Council (MPHEC), as similar courses were already being offered at Mount Saint Vincent and Saint Mary’s universities. Women's studies classes were first offered at Dalhousie in 1988, with Susan Sherwin as program coordinator and only three enrolled students. Judith Fingard took over as program coordinator in 1989 and introduced classes in science, political science and economics.

By 1992 Dalhousie had an active Women’s Studies Student Society, and the program was gaining attention through its lecture and seminar series. The program was not without detractors, particularly in the wake of the École Polytechnique massacre in 1989, and exams were written with security personnel present after some faculty received death threats.

In 2005, the program adopted a new name in an effort to be more inclusive, and officially became the Gender and Women’s Studies program.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Law, Justice and Society Program

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 2018-
Dalhousie's Law, Justice and Society Program is an interdisciplinary program established in 2018 and offering courses on a wide range of topics, including the introduction to law and legal thinking, the history of crime and punishment, state violence, human rights, political theories and philosophies of law, youth crime and corrections, restorative justice and conflict resolution, and the legal regulation of sex and gender.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Computer Science

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1997-
The Faculty of Computer Science was established on 1 April 1997 with the merger of the Technical University of Nova Scotia (TUNS) and Dalhousie University. Prior to 1997, computer science was taught through Dalhousie's Department of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science. The Faculty was housed on the 15th and 16th floors of the Maritime Centre until the purpose-built Computer Science facility opened on Dalhousie's Studley campus in 1999. The building was designed by Brian MacKay-Lyons and was featured in Canadian Architect in March 2000, but renamed unnamed until June 2008 when it was designated as the Goldberg Computer Science Building in honour of the Goldberg family. The Goldberg Building is equipped with an auditorium, seminar rooms, study carrels, offices, nine "playgrounds” —large spaces for group or individual research—and an ICT Sandbox for research and development.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Dentistry

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1908 -

The Faculty of Dentistry is the only dental school east of Montreal and educates over three-quarters of dentists practising in Atlantic Canada. Dalhousie created the faculty in 1908 in affiliation with the recently established Maritime Dental College for the purpose of examining candidates and conferring the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery. Dalhousie also provided lecture and clinical facilities in what is now known as the Forrest Building; in 1912 Dalhousie also assumed responsibility for instruction, and the four students who graduated that year did so as the first class in the Faculty of Dentistry. Teaching continued to be carried out by part-time dental practitioners; with the exception of a brief period in the late forties, until 1953 there was only one full-time faculty member, J. Stanley Bagnall, who himself had graduated from Dalhousie in 1921.

The introduction of government grants as well as private donations and gifts from the Kellogg Foundation enabled the dental school to expand dramatically throughout the 1950s, including the number of full-time faculty, the creation of a school of dental hygiene, and the building of the current Dentistry Building at the corner of Robie Street and University Avenue. By 1967 there were 15 full-time academic staff and 31 part-time faculty members, supported by 20 administrative and technical personnel.

In 1969 the faculty, which, since its beginnings, had operated as a single administrative department, established four departments: Oral Biology; Oral Medicine and Surgery; Restorative Dentistry; and Paediatric and Community Dentistry, with independent department heads or chairs. Today the faculty comprises the School of Dental Hygiene and the departments of Dental Clinical Sciences, Applied Oral Sciences and Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, each made up of its own internal divisions.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Engineering

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1997-
The Faculty of Engineering was established on 1 April 1997 with the merger of the Technical University of Nova Scotia (TUNS) and Dalhousie University. Engineering was first taught at Dalhousie in 1891 with the introduction of courses in applied science, including those taught by Halifax engineers. In 1902 the university established a school of mining engineering, offering civil engineering two years later, both via extension programs in Sydney, Nova Scotia. However, in 1909 the Nova Scotia Technical College (later TUNS) opened and assumed the bulk of engineering education within the province. Dalhousie continued to offer a few courses within the Faculty of Arts and Science, establishing a Diploma in Engineering in 1922.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Graduate Studies

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1949-
Dalhousie Faculty of Graduate Studies was established in 1949 in response to pressures from science faculty members in particular; physics professor J.H.L. Johnstone was appointed as the first dean. Between 1930–1950 the university had granted over three hundred masters degrees, and in 1949 alone the new faculty registered eighty students in graduate programs. MA degrees were offered in classics, economics, English language and literature, history, mathematics, modern languages, public administration, philosophy and political science, while MSc programs included biochemistry, biology, chemistry, geology, mathematics, physics and physiology. After an infusion of federal funding, graduate programs were expanded in 1956 to include a PhD program in biological sciences and in 1960 a PhD program in chemistry. In 1967 the Master of Business Administration program was created; in 1972 the psychology department began offering a PhD program; and the Master of Nursing program was established in 1975. Graduate students are represented by a separate student union, known as the Dalhousie Association for Graduate Students, and graduate residences are available on both Halifax and Truro campuses.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Health

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1962-
The Faculty of Health was established in 1962 as an umbrella faculty for all the paramedical groups, an idea first proposed in 1959 by the Medical Faculty Council. Initially it was primarily a merger between the College of Pharmacy and the School of Nursing. It is now one of the largest faculties at Dalhousie, comprised of eight schools, one college and one program, more than 200 faculty members, 80 staff members, and almost 2,500 students.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Health Professions. College of Pharmacy

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1961-
Pharmacy classes began September 1911 at the Nova Scotia College of Pharmacy. In 1917, the College became the Maritime College of Pharmacy, with pharmacists from the New Brunswick Pharmaceutical Society joining with pharmacists from the Nova Scotia Pharmaceutical Society in support of the College's operation. In 1950, the Prince Edward Island Pharmaceutical Association also became affiliated with the College and it became truly a Maritime College of Pharmacy. In 1961, the College was incorporated into Dalhousie University, Faculty of Health Professions, as the Dalhousie College of Pharmacy.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Health. School of Social Work

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1941-

The Maritime School of Social Work was incorporated in April 1941 as an independent school in response to a long recognized need for professionally educated social workers in the region. In the early years classes were taught by a cadre of volunteers drawn from various related professions under the supervision of the school’s first director, Samuel Henry Prince. Professor of Sociology at Dalhousie and the University of King’s College, Prince created the school’s official emblem—a lighthouse emanating rays of light—a symbol of what he called “the epitome of the two-fold character of all social service: prevention and rescue.”

In 1944 Phyllis Burns became the school’s first full-time employee; she was appointed as Assistant Director and Registrar and was responsible for teaching classes in child and family welfare. In 1949 Lawrence T. Hancock was appointed as the first regular Director of the School, a position he held until 1973. It was during his tenure that the school amalgamated with Dalhousie University in 1969 and received accreditation in both Canada and the United States.

Initially falling under the auspices of the Faculty of Administration, the Maritime School of Social Work is currently one of eight schools and a college grouped within the university's Faculty of Health Professions. The political, social, cultural and economic conditions of the region continue to give direction to the school's teaching; specifically, its degree and certificate programs were designed to meet the needs of the region's Mi'kmaq population. It has maintained an affirmative action admissions program since the mid-1970s and makes special efforts to accommodate the diversity of its student population.

In the early 1980s the school added a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree program, while the Masters program (MSW) was reorganized into a one-year course of study for BSW graduates. With the advent of the BSW program, an off-site program was developed to reach students in Sydney, Saint John and Charlottetown. Since 2001 the school has offered distance delivery to students across Canada via the Internet. It also provides a continuing education program for practising professions, including workshops and certificate courses in the practice of social work.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Management

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1975-
The Faculty of Management was established in 1975 as the Faculty of Administrative Studies, a federated faculty of the School of Business Administration (formerly the Department of Commerce), the School of Public Administration, the School of Library Services and the Maritime School of Social Work. For a short time it also administered a Program in Education Administration and a Program in Health Services Administration. In 1984 it was renamed the Faculty of Management Studies, which was shorted to the Faculty of Management in 1987.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Management. Rowe School of Business

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1930-

Between 1891-1902 the Dalhousie calendars sporadically listed a two-year course in “Subjects Bearing on Commerce,” along with the suggestion that it be supplemented by practical training at a business college during summer vacations. Commerce then disappeared from the Dalhousie curriculum for two decades, until the university received a gift of $60,000 to endow a chair in business studies. Bishop Carleton Hunt was appointed the first William Black Professor of Commerce in 1921 and courses were offered leading to a Bachelor of Commerce degree. Following several years of staffing challenges, in 1930 James MacDonald replaced Hunt and was appointed the inaugural head of a Department of Commerce.

The School of Business Administration replaced the Department of Commerce on 1 July 1976, a year after the establishment of the Faculty of Administrative Studies, which was an initiative designed to bring together business and public administration under one umbrella, and also included the schools of library services and social work. The BCom became a four-year program and a Centre for International Business Studies was created. In 2012 the school was renamed the Rowe School of Business after Kenneth C. Rowe in recognition of his business leadership and his transformative gift to Dalhousie’s business program. The school is among the five percent of business schools around the world accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Management. School for Resource and Environmental Studies

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1973-
The School for Resource and Environmental Studies grew out of the Institute for Environmental Studies, which was established at Dalhousie by biologist Ronald Hayes in 1973 for the purpose of research and teaching related to the environment of Nova Scotia. Under the leadership of Arthur Hanson, the unit’s name was expanded to the Institute for Resource and Environmental Studies in 1978, and in 1979/1980 the institute began offering a Master of Environmental Studies degree in collaboration with academic departments at Dalhousie and the Nova Scotia Technical College. In 1987/88 the institute was established as a school with a small core faculty, and it joined the Faculty of Management in 1991.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Management. School of Information Management

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1969-

The School for Information Management was established in 1969 as the School of Library Service, and it awarded its first Master of Library Service (MLS) degrees in May 1971. Originally administered by the Faculty of Graduate Studies, the school became affiliated with the Faculty of Administrative Studies in 1975, which became the Faculty of Management Studies in 1984, and later simply the Faculty of Management.

Between 1979-1985 the library services curriculum was subject to ongoing revision, and in 1987 the school was renamed the School of Library and Information Studies. In 2005 it changed names again and became the School of Information Management, moving out of its longtime home on the third floor of the Killam Library to new digs in the Kenneth C. Rowe Management Building. It continued to offer a Master of Library and Information Studies (MLIS) degree, which in 2019 became a Master of Information (MI). In 2008 the school launched a graduate program for mid-career professionals leading to a Master of Information Management (MIM). The school has been continuously accredited by the American Library Association (ALA) since 1971.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Management. School of Library and Information Studies. Associated Alumni.

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)

The School of Library Service Associated Alumni Association was founded in early 1974 after being approved by alumni from the school and accepted as legitimate entity by the Dalhousie Alumni Association. The Associated Alumni Association's founding mission was to promote the best interests and professional objectives of the individual members of the association, and among those involved in its founding were Norman Horrocks as Director of the School and John Murchie as the President of the School of Library Service Associated Alumni. The first officers (1974-1975) were John Murchie, Chairfellow; Elaine Rillie, Co-chairfellow; and Bernie Coyle, Secretar

The Associated Alumni meet on a regular basis and sponsor social gatherings, professional workshops, and other events of interest to members. The alumni also elect representatives to serve on committees within the School; in the early days these included the curriculum, admissions and scholarships, non-print media, grievance, and work experience committees. As the association has evolved, it has maintained its close ties to the School.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Management. School of Public Administration

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1975-

The School of Public Administration was established on 1 July 1975, the same date as the new Faculty of Administrative Studies opened. However, the public administration tradition at Dalhousie goes back to 1936, when it became the first university in Canada to offer classes in public policy and public management. Between 1938-1949 the Faculty of Graduate Studies awarded 13 Master of Public Administration (MPA) degrees to students through Dalhousie's Institute of Public Affairs. This graduate program fell dormant after 1951 and, in an effort to revive a degree course in public administration, in 1969 three programs were launched designed to meet the needs of practising and prospective civil servants, including the Master of Public Administration (MPA) program. These were administered by the Department of Political Science, with decisions and structures shared with the Department of Commerce.

The school continues to provide foundational training in all aspects of public management and policy making to foster the development of future public sector leaders. Its Master of Public Administration (MPA) and Master of Public Administration – Management (MPA/M) programs are accredited by the Canadian Association of Programs in Public Administration (CAPPA).

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Medicine

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1868-

Dalhousie Medical School is an internationally-recognized faculty in undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing medical education. The only medical school in the Maritime provinces, it is closely affiliated with the provincial healthcare systems in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island, and is affiliated with over one hundred teaching sites, including nine teaching hospitals.

The Dalhousie College Act, ratified in 1863, stipulated the establishment of a medical faculty; with the support of the premier and the provincially-funded Halifax Hospital, the Faculty of Medicine opened in 1868, half a century after the university's founding, and the fifth medical school in Canada, preceded by McGill (1842), Queens (1854), Laval (1823) and Toronto (1843).

The initial class of 14 students was taught by a volunteer faculty of Halifax physicians under the leadership of Dr. Alexander P. Reid. Primary subjects only were offered, and students transferred to McGill, Harvard or New York to complete their training; by 1870 a full program was available and in 1872 the first class graduated from Dalhousie’s Faculty of Medicine. In 1873 financial difficulties forced the school’s closure and two years later the independent Halifax Medical College was formed, with Dr. Reid as president. After an ambiguous affiliation with the college, in 1889 Dalhousie’s Faculty of Medicine was re-established, with the Halifax Medical College remaining as the teaching body while the Faculty of Medicine took over the role of examining body.

With the support of the Carnegie Foundation, the medical school was reorganized; in 1911 the Halifax Medical School was fully reintegrated into the university, with a full-time pre-clinical teaching staff and strict entrance requirements. In the early 1920s further grants from the Carnegie and Rockefeller foundations enabled the construction of the Dalhousie Public Health Clinic and the Medical Sciences Building, as well as the expansion of the Pathology Institute. In 1925 the school obtained an A1 accreditation from the American Medical Association.

Financial challenges throughout the 1930s and 1940s were alleviated by contributions from the provincial governments of Newfoundland, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island, and during this period the faculty established the first continuing medical education program in Canada. In 1967 the Sir Charles Tupper Medical Building was completed, housing the W.K. Kellogg Health Sciences Library, several medical science faculties, and facilities for teaching and research.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Medicine. Animal Care Facility.

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1968-
The Animal Care Facility, formerly the Animal Care Centre, is shared by several faculties at Dalhousie University, but operated by the Faculty of Medicine. It is used for animal-based research, following or exceeding the standards for the ethical and humane treatment of animals in scientific and medical research. It was established in early 1968 with a Faculty Advisory Committee (Dr. Mark Segal, Dr. Briar Chandler, Dr. W.J. Longley, Dr. C.E. Kinley Jr.), representing various Departments within the Faculty of Medicine. Dr. W. Grant Hilliard was appointed the first director of the Animal Care Centre, starting on January 1, 1968.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Medicine. Continuing Professional Development and Division of Medical Education

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1957-
The Division of Continuing Medical Education (CME) was established in 1957. In 2013 the name was changed to Continuing Professional Development. In January 2017 they merged with the Division of Medical Education to formally include research in medical education across the continuum and became Continuing Professional Development and Division of Medical Education (CPDME). The division provides educational and professional development programs and services to health care providers, educators, academics and conference planners.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Medicine. Department of Anaesthesia.

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1953-
The first reference to the Department of Anaesthesia in the Dalhousie University calendars is in 1953-1954. At this point is consisted of C.C. Stoddard (professor); Roberta B. Nichols, C.H.L. Baker, R.W.M. Ballem, and C.M. Kincaide (assistant professors); C. Gordon MacKinnon (lecturer); and D.V. Graham, R.A.P. Fleming, and A.S. MacIntosh (demonstrators). A head of the department is not indicated. The Department of Anaesthesia is now called the Department of Anaesthesia, Pain Management, and Perioperative Medicine.

Dalhousie University. Faculty of Medicine. Department of Anatomy.

  • Corporate body (Dalhousie University)
  • 1958-
Anatomy has been a part of the Faculty of Medicine at Dalhousie University since its opening in 1868. However, the first reference to a Head of the Department in the Dalhousie University calendars is in 1958-1959, where Dr. R.L. de C.H. Saunders is identified as the Head of the Department. In previous calendars, Anatomy is listed as a subdivision of courses offered by the Faculty of Medicine, but there was no indication that it was organized as a department. It is now a Division of the Department of Medical Neuroscience.
Results 1 to 50 of 95