Showing 3905 results

Authority Record

2b theatre company

  • Corporate body
  • 1999-
2b theatre company was founded in 1999 by Christian Barry, Anthony Black, Andrea Dymond, Zach Fraser and Angela Gasparetto, and incorporated in May 2000 as Bunnies in the Headlights Theatre. In 2004 Barry and Black became artistic co-directors, refined the company’s artistic and operational vision with increased emphasis on touring, and renamed the company 2b. Many of their productions have been developed and produced in collaboration with other artists—writers, performers and musicians.

A. Keith and Son Limited.

  • Corporate body

A. Keith and Son Limited is one of the oldest brewing companies in Canada. It was established in 1820 by Alexander Keith after he took over a brewing business from Charles Boggs. The brewery was originally located in a house on Argyle Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, but a larger facility was built on Lower Water Street in 1822. In 1836, Keith expanded again, building a new brewery on Hollis Street. In 1863, Keith Hall was built adjacent to the brewery on Lower Water Street. This building served as Keith's private residence and eventually became the headquarters of Oland and Son.

Alexander Keith was mayor of Halifax and President of the Legislative Council, and held many other public offices. He was involved with numerous boards, companies, charitable organizations, and societies. He died in 1873.

In 1928 Oland and Son Limited acquired an interest in A. Keith and Son. Later, a stock offering was issued and the company became a wholly owned subsidiary of Oland and Son. Oland and Son Limited maintained the A. Keith and Son brand and continued to brew Keith's products until John Labatt Limited purchased all of Oland and Son's brewing assets in 1971.

A. Keith and Son is best known for its Keith's India Pale Ale, but at different periods in the company's history it also brewed Keith's Stag's Head Stout, Keith's Bohemian Lager, and Keith's Medicinal Stout.

A. Neill and Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1765-1973
A printing company in Edinburgh, Scotland, Neill and Company was founded by Patrick Neill in 1765 out of the firm Balfour & Neill, after Balfour retired. Later, under the direction of Alexander Neill Fraser, the company was an early pioneer of mechanical typesetting; Neill Fraser invented a machine that was used in their own publications and sold to other companies into the early 1900s. The firm continued to expand for more than two centuries, before closing its doors in 1973.

A.M. Bell and Company

  • Corporate body
  • ca. 1890-1912
A.M. Bell & Company grew out of Andrew Bell's retail hardware business, which he first established in 1875 on Water Street, in Halifax, Nova Scotia. After expanding into the wholesale trade and taking on Arthur B. Wiswall as a junior partner, the firm became know as A.M. Bell & Company. In 1903 they erected a six-storey building on a site between Granville and Hollis—the first concrete building in Halifax. Bell sold the business in 1912 and died two years later.

A.M. Smith and Company.

  • Corporate body

N. & M. SMITH LIMITED

Nathaniel and Martin Smith were brothers, originally from Yankeetown, Hammonds Plains, Halifax County. Descendants of British Empire Loyalists from Maryland, they moved to Halifax, Nathaniel around 1865 and Martin following in 1870, to attend to growing business interests, establishing a branch cooperage and forming N. & M. Smith Limited.

Martin Smith died in 1889 at age 54. In 1904 the section of the Halifax waterfront with N. & M. Smith wharves and buildings – Lower Water Street between Sackville and Prince Streets – was completely destroyed by fire. This property was rebuilt, and N. & M. Smith Limited returned to it in 1905; however, in the interim they purchased and used a property on Upper Water Street known as Cronan Wharf, which was later leased and subsequently sold.

The original business of a cooperage expanded to the export of salted fish and the import of fishery salt. N. & M. Smith underwent voluntary liquidation in about 1915; Martin Smith’s widow and two sons Howard H. and Albert Martin (“Bert”) retained the premises. A.M. Smith Company Limited was formed in 1917, and in 1920 the company became incorporated and known as A.M. Smith and Company Limited.

A.M. SMITH AND COMPANY

Howard H. Smith died in the early 1920s and his interest in the company was acquired by his brother, Albert Martin Smith. Albert Martin’s sons Albert Martin Smith, Jr. (“Ad”) and Fletcher S. Smith entered the company business after graduating from Dalhousie University in 1929, the third generation of brothers to do so. Upon declaration of war, A.M. Smith, Jr., a lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve, entered active service and spent eighteen months on a Canadian destroyer before being transferred to Halifax as a Staff Officer in the Executive Branch, with the rank of Commander. A. Martin Smith, son of “Ad,” was also in the business for a year or so, before leaving to establish his own law practice. Ad Smith died in 1970.

Under the management of Ad Smith and Fletcher S. Smith, the company embraced three main departments – Export, Import, and Domestic. The Smiths were the largest exporters of dry and picked salted fish products in the Maritime Provinces, benefiting from the science of the Atlantic Fisheries Experimental Station which adjoined the plant. Smith’s specialized in pickled mackerel and herring, which was sold in national and international markets.

The Import Department dealt in Fishery Salt, of which A.M. Smith and Company was the largest importer in Eastern Canada, bringing in cargo lots from world production centers. The Domestic Department was responsible for the creation of the “Sea-Nymph” brand of boneless codfish, and later kippered herring, which put bulk salt fish back on grocer’s shelves. The “Sea-Nymph” brand was packed by Smith Canneries, associates of A.M. Smith and Company.

By 1970, A.M. Smith and Company was almost wholly dependent on Newfoundland for supplies such as salted cod. Subsequently, when the Federal Salt Fish Act (Bill C175) was passed, and resulted in the creation of a state-owned company with a complete monopoly over all phases of the cured fish business, A.M. Smith and Company became redundant. The government refused to compensate redundant firms, and thus A.M. Smith and Company Limited were obliged to discontinue their waterfront business, and their property was sold on November 15, 1973. Fletcher S. Smith died in 1987.

The area formerly occupied by A.M. Smith and Company is now part of the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic on Lower Water Street, Halifax, NS.

ACADIA FISHERIES

Acadia Fisheries had a plant at Mulgrave, Nova Scotia, where it was for a time the largest employer in the area, with over 400 people on staff. The company purchased the Old Loggie Fish Plant in 1952, and used it as a base for the harvesting and processing of fish. The plant burned to the ground in the 1970s and was not rebuilt. The company was associated with A.M. Smith and Co.

SMITH CANNERIES

Smith Canneries existed with virtually the same shareholders and directorate as A.M. Smith and Company, but with canning operations principally confined to Prince Edward Island. Fish for the plant was caught off the coast of Prince Edward Island, and subsequently packed under the “Sea-Nymph” brand, which included herring, salt herring, Dutch-style herring, mackerel, codfish, boneless salt cod, and ling. Smith Canneries also has use of the “Sea Nymph 1” dragger, a ship operated by A.M. Smith and Company for the salted and fresh fish trade.

Abouamin, Tarek

  • Person
Tarek Abouamin is an Egytian-Nova Scotian filmmaker, cinematographer and photographer. Abouamin teaches film production at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design University. Abouamin became associated with the Centre for Art Tapes in 199 because their video recording “Travellers” became a part of the centre’s tape collection.

Acadia Coal Company.

  • Corporate body
  • 1865-1914
The Acadia Coal Company, incorporated in 1865, was organized by James D.B. Fraser of Pictou, NS, who discovered the famous Stellar coal. Acadia Coal commenced working the original McGregor seam, as well as the Acadia seam, which had been discovered about two miles south-west of the Albion seam. The discovery gave a new impetus to coal mining in the district; the Acadia Coal Company extended its operations, and companies such as the Nova Scotia, Vale and some eight others were eventually abandoned or merged with the Acadia Coal Company, whose operations were the largest in Pictou County. T

Acadia University

  • Corporate body
  • 1838-
Acadia University was founded in 1838 by the Nova Scotia Baptist Education Society. It is located in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. The university was known as Queen's College from 1838 to 1841, when it was renamed Acadia College. The college awarded its first degree in 1843 and was renamed Acadia University in 1891. In 2013, Acadia University had 3,753 undergraduate students and 605 graduate students.

Acadian Supplies Company.

  • Corporate body

Acadian Supply Company was a ship chandler and merchandiser located in Lunenburg, incorporated on January 12, 1920 and operated till 1966. They sold coal, lumber, cement, building and fishing supplies, locks and keys and groceries. On October 28, 1966 Acadian Supply Co. was sold to A.B.C.O. Ltd. of Lunenburg, who kept the name until they closed, the original Acadian Supplies Co. operated under the name Acadian Holdings Limited until 1967 as they finished closing their accounts. R.S. Corkum was managing director until his death in November of 1929. He was replaced by Henry C. Winters on February 28th, 1930. Winters resigned in April of 1940 and replaced by J. Bertram Morash. Other directors over the years included Captain Leo P. Corkum, Captain Will Spindler, Hugh R. Anderson and B.S. Richard.

Acadian Vessel Company was a subsidiary of Acadian Supply Company, it was incorporated on May 5, 1930 and operated till 1964. They owned, bought, sold, and operated ships and vessels. In 1930 they owned the following vessels, Nina M. Conrad, Maria A. Spindler, Grace Buchner, Marshal Frank, Robert Esdale, Elizabeth Warde, Annie B. Gerhardt, M + L Coaster, Jean M. Madelin, Isabel F. Spindler, Leah Beryl and Howard Donald.

Both businesses were subsidiary companies under Adams and Knickle Ltd. (MS-4-27)

Adams and Knickle Limited.

  • Corporate body
Adams & Knickle Ltd., an important Lunenburg ship chandlery company, was founded in 1897 by Henry W. Adams and Alexander Knickle. The company began as the partnership of Knickle & Co. and changed its name to Adams & Knickle Ltd. in 1907. The company was incorporated on July 30, 1945 and continues under this name as of 2009. Primarily focused on outfitting vessels, the company owned and operated vessels involved in transporting fish to foreign markets from Nova Scotia and Newfoundland to Bermuda, Brazil, British West Indies, Cuba, Grand Turk Island, Portugal, and Puerto Rico. It also became involved in the landing and processing of dried and pickled fish for local and foreign markets. By 1957, Adams & Knickle introduced deep-sea dragging for scallops to the area. In the 1970s and 1980s, Adams & Knickle had an offshore fleet of seventy-seven vessels. In 2009, Adams & Knickle continues to maintain a small but successful scallop fleet.

Adams, Frank Dawson

  • Person
  • 1859-1942

Frank Dawson Adams was born 17 September 1859 in Montreal, Quebec. After graduating from Montreal High School, he completed his BSc (1878) and MA (1884) at McGill University, and later earned a PhD at Heidelberg University. In 1892 he married Mary Stuart Finlay.

Adams was a well-known geologist, educator and author with a long association with McGill University. He began lecturing at McGill in 1889 and held a number of prominent positions there, including Logan Professor of Geology, Dean of Applied Science, Director of the Redpath Museum, Acting Principal, Vice-Principal and Dean of Graduate Studies. He was also employed as a chemist and petrographer for the Geological Survey of Canada from 1913-1914, was Deputy Director of Khaki University in Britain, and actively participated in a number of national and international geological organizations, including the Geological Society of Canada.

Adams retired from McGill in 1924 and traveled widely while continuing his geological research and study. A recognized leader in his field, he was awarded the Flavelle Medal in 1937 and held honourary degrees from the University of Toronto, Queen’s, Mount Allison, Bishop’s, and Tufts. His articles were printed in American and Canadian journals, and he was the author of the well-regarded The Birth and Development of the Geological Sciences in 1938. Adams died in Montreal on 26 December 1942.

Adams, Jeff

  • Person
Jeff Adams became associated with the Centre for Art Tapes in 1994 because their audio recording “Thrush hermit ("french inhale")” became a part of the centre’s tape collection.

Adams, Norman

  • Person
Norman Adams is the Principal Cellist of Symphony Nova Scotia (SNS) and the Artistic Director of suddenlyLISTEN Music. He also performs as a soloist internationally, has taught at Acadia University and various schools and programs in Nova Scotia, and collaborates regularly with other musicians. In 2010, he received the Established Artist Award from the Nova Scotia Arts and Culture Partnership Council. Adams lives in Halifax with his wife and SNS principal violist, Susan Sayle.

Adshead, John Geoffrey

  • Person
  • 1904 - 1979

John Geoffrey Adshead was born in 1904 in Manchester, England. He was educated at Stockport Grammar School before entering Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge University, graduating with first class honours with distinction in mathematics. He was also a half-blue in lacrosse, later touring the United States as a member of the Oxford-Cambridge lacrosse team. In 1927 he was appointed at the University of King's College, transferring to Dalhousie University in 1947 as acting head of the Department of Mathematics, a position made permanent in 1953.

In addition to his popularity with students, he was considered by his colleagues to be an excellent cook. In P.B. Waite's reminiscences of faculty life in the 1950s, he writes that "one remembers Adshead's baked halibut with oyster stuffing, served with a Poilly Fuissé" (http://hdl.handle.net/10222/63115). Adshead retired in 1964 and died in 1979.

Aiken, Alice

  • Person
Alice Aiken was Dean of the Faculty of Health from 2016-2017. She became vice president of research at Dalhousie in 2017.

Air Nova.

  • Corporate body
Air Nova was an airline based in Enfield, nova Scotia. Air Nova was amalgamated into Air canada in 2001.

Airsell.

  • Corporate body

Aitchison, James, 1908-1994

  • Person

James (Jim) Hermiston Aitchison was born on January 22, 1908 to James C. and Elizabeth Aitchison in Innerleithen, Scotland. He came to Canada at age four and was raised and educated in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Aitchison received a B.A. (1928) and B.Ed. (1929) from the University of Saskatchewan as well as a B.Sc. from the London School of Economics (1935). While in London, Aitchison married Oriole, with whom he had one daughter, Elizabeth. In 1953, he received a Ph.D. from the University of Toronto.

Aitchison’s career as an educator began in 1929. He taught high school from 1929 until 1933 and lectured at Brandon College (1935-1938), University of Toronto (1938-1939), and McMaster (1939-1941). Aitchison then became an associate professor at Victoria College (1946-1948). He also served with the Canadian Army from 1942 to 1946, reaching the rank of Major.

Aitchison came to Dalhousie in 1949 and served as head or chairman of the Department of Political Science until 1973. His research centred on Canadian politics and government and he wrote profusely on the topic. He also edited The Political Process in Canada: Essays in Honour of R. MacGregor Dawson in 1963. Aitchison was active in the Dalhousie community and served as the first president of the Dalhousie Faculty Association in 1951. Even after his retirement, Aitchison maintained a close connection with Dalhousie’s Department of Political Science, continuing to work in his office as late as 1993 at age eighty-five. He was also active in a number of professional organizations, including the Canadian Association of University Teachers and the Social Science Research Council of Canada, where he served as president and chairman, respectively.

In the 1960s, Aitchison was also involved with the Nova Scotia New Democratic Party, serving as chairman of the committee for the party (1961-1962), party president (1962-1964), president and acting leader (1964-1966), and leader (1966-1968). He also ran unsuccessfully for election in the 1962 and 1965 federal elections, as well as in the 1967 provincial election.

In 1993, Aitchison’s contributions to his field were honoured by the Atlantic Provinces Political Science Association. He died in Halifax on July 12, 1994.

Aitkin, Mary Jane

  • Person
  • fl. 1857
Mary Jane Aitkin lived in Pictou, Nova Scotia, in the mid-ninteenth century. Sophia Catherine Brehm lived in Halifax ca. 1857.

Albert, Kim

  • Person
Kim Albert is a country musician from Prince Edward Island and is the front-person for the band FACES.

Albert, Paul

  • Person
Paul Albert became associated with the Centre for Art Tapes in 1993 because their audio recording “Primer on Organizational Life” became a part of the centre’s tape collection.

Aldous, John G.

John G. Aldous was a professor of biology at Dalhousie University. Aldous was Secretary of the Izaak Walton Club of Dalhousie University and wrote a historical account of the club in 1984. Aldous retired as Professor Emiratus. On the occasion of his retirement from Dalhousie University, his friends, colleagues, and students established an endowment to provide for an annual prize to be awarded for the best achievement in BIOL 4404 and BIOL 4407 combined.

Allen, Lillian, 1951-

  • Person
Lillian Allen is a Canadian dub poet, reggae musician and writer. Originally from Jamaica, Allen moved to Ontario in the 1960s and settled in Toronto in 1974. She received a BA from York University. Allen first released music in 1983, entitled “Dub Poet: The Poetry of Lillian Allen”. Allen has also won several Juno Awards in the 1980s. Allen currently teaches creative writing at the Ontario College of Art and Design.

Allen, Matthew

  • Person
Matthew Allan became associated with the Centre for Art Tapes in 1996 because their video recording Ambition Anagram” became a part of the centre’s tape collection.

Allen, Richard Orme

  • Person
Richard Orme Allen was the sixth and youngest child of the Rev. James Allen and Emma Jane Peters. He was raised primarily in Toronto and educated at Victoria College, University of Toronto. In May 1916 he enlisted in the Canadian Navy as a wireless operator and served until 1918. He was trained in Halifax and stationed at Point Riche in Newfoundland and then on Sable Island, Nova Scotia. After the war he returned to Toronto, where he worked as a civil servant and bookkeeper. He kept in touch with people he had known in the Navy, especially those who had been with him on Sable Island. After reading Thomas Raddall's The Nymph and the Lamp (1950), he established a correspondence with the novelist, wrote several brief accounts of his experiences in the Navy, and visited Raddall at his home in Nova Scotia on at least one occasion.

Allen, W. Graham

  • Person
  • 1909 - 1986

William Graham Allen (1909-1986) was a freelance writer and broadcaster, best known for his work with the CBC. He was born in Halifax on 6 January 1909 to William T. and Winnifred (Dodge) Allen. He was a graduate of Dalhousie University's class of 1929, and also studied at Royal Roads Military College and HMCS Cornwallis. In 1928 Allen began reporting for The Halifax Chronicle and worked in various editorial positions until 1941, when he signed on for active duty in the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve. He served as a Sub-lieutenant and was involved in the theatrical show "Meet The Navy." In 1946 Allen returned to The Halifax Chronicle-Herald, continuing to serve from 1947-1951 as an executive officer for HMCS Scotian, Halifax Naval Reserve Division.

In 1951 Allen was appointed Director of University Liaisons at Dalhousie University, where he also served as editor for The Dalhousie Review from 1953-1957, the year of his retirement from the university. That year he joined the Canadian Broadcast Corporation as the news staff supervisor for the Maritimes. He retired from the CBC in 1975, but continued to broadcast as a freelancer and to host the popular radio program Neighborly News from 1977–1980. Allen was a self described "movie freak" and a large supporter of the arts. He held positions as juror for the Governor General Awards (ca. 1950s); treasurer for ACTRA, Maritimes (1976); Director of Neptune Theatre Foundation (1976); Dal Alumni Executive (1976); Governor of Dalhousie University (1976-1977); President of the Radio Television News Director's Association; and spent several years with Halifax Welfare Council and the United Services Institute of Nova Scotia. He died in 1986.

Almon, Marc

  • Person
Marc Almon is a Canadian film producer, based in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Almon has been educated at the Canadian Film Centre, and was named one of the Next Gen: Twenty Young Stars on the Rise in Canada by the Hollywood Reporter. Almon is currently the Chair of Screen Nova Scotia , the local film and television, and interactive media industry association. Almon became associated with the Centre for Art Tapes in 1999 because their video recordings became a part of the centre’s tape collection.

Almon, William, Bruce, Lt. Col.

  • Person
Little biographical information is available regarding Lt. Col. William Bruce Almon. He was the son of Thomas Ritchie Almon and Frances (née Egan). Almon was part of the Canadian Expeditionary Forces in World War One and went to Russia. He is known to have been involved with early theatre in Nova Scotia, particularly the Theatre Arts Guild and the Anglican Young People’s Association drama festivals in Chester. Almon studied at McGill University. He also had a first cousin named William Bruce Almon who graduated from Dalhousie’s medical school in 1899. That William Bruce Almon joined the Medical College in 1894 after studying engineering at King’s College in Windsor. The grandson of Senator Almon, he was known among his fellow students as a poet and artist.

Alpha Eta Chapter of Phi Rho Sigma Fraternity

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-
Phi Rho Sigma is a medical school fraternity founded in Chicago in 1890 with chapters located at throughout the United States and Canada. Dalhousie University established its chapter—Alpha Eta of Phi Rho Sigma— in 1925, with a nucleus of nine chartered members.
Results 1 to 50 of 3905