This file contains the contract for Cumming Hall, the administration and classroom building on the Nova Scotia Agricultural College campus to be completed on or by November 24, 1912. The contract describes the work to be done, and the materials to be used in the additions and alterations to Agricultural College from the drawings and superintendence of Andrew R. Cobb, Architect, Halifax, N.S. “Set no. 5”
Item is a photograph of Dr. Melville Cumming, who served as the first principal at the Nova Scotia Agricultural College from 1905-1927. Dr. Cumming was also an instructor animal husbandry, agronomy, bacteriology and public speaking, and also served as the Secretary of Agriculture for the province from 1907-25.
This file contains the 7 pages of plans for the new NSAC library in 1982, renamed the MacRae Library in 1990. It details the libraries interior and furniture design and layout for furnishings for the lower and main levels. Plans were designed by Berardinelli Design Limited, Halifax, NS. "Set no. 2".
This file contains 2 articles and a speech prepared by Nova Scotia Agricultural College Principal Melville Cumming regarding W. H. Brittain - Provincial Entomologist (Nova Scotia) , and the Nova Scotia Agricultural College.
This file contains the contract between W.K. Murray (contractor) and Department of Public Works including modifications to specifications. Dated November 5, 1913. Signed by "_____ Cobb" Architect; "E. H. Armstrong" Commissioner for Public Works and Mines; and "W.K. Murray" contractor.
This file contains a meeting summary between staff of the Nova Scotia Agricultural College, Nova Scotia Museum, and Ross Farm Museum that was held at the Nova Scotia Museum, Halifax on June 17, 1987. The focus of meeting was in identifying, and understanding more about, historical varieties of crops and of educating the public about changes in plant material and the important of genetic diversity in 1987.
This file contains the correspondence between Nova Scotia Agricultural College Library and the Nova Scotia Department of Agriculture regarding subscribing scientific journals. Also contains a notebook with publications ordered by Nova Scotia Department of Agriculture branch Chem. Soils and Fertilizer (1952-1975).
This file contains two programs (8.5x11 inches, folded in half) to the Nova Scotia Agricultural College Founding Day (Founder's Day) banquet held on 12 February, 1988 at Jenkins Hall. Included list of participants as follows: 1. Rev. D.I. MacEachern 2. N.S.A.C. Chorale 3. Dr. Bernard MacDonald, N.S.T.C. 4. Mr. Art Weatherby, Village Commission 5. Mr. J.E. Shuh , Professor Emeritus 6. Dr H.F. MacRae, Principal 7. Mr R.E. Morehouse, N.S., Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Marketing. 8. Mr Victor Saxon, Director 9. Mr Emery Legere, President, Students Union.
This file contains a memorial service program celebrating the life of Richard (Rick) Charles Russell. 1959-2004. Rick was an Nova Scotia Agricultural College alum, employee, and coach of the NSAC Woodsmen Team.
This file contains the program for the panel discussion "Nova Scotia Agricultural College - 29 Days Later - Perspectives in the Wake of September 11th, 2001". The panel was hosted at NSAC Alumni Theatre on October 10, 2001.
This file contains a satirical script (ca. 1971) for a play covering student life, academic calendar, social interests of the day at the Nova Scotia Agricultural College. - College Royal, sheep management. - Included list of actors: R. W. Hounsell (potentially NSAC faculty circa 1960s?); Ray Porth (NSAC Biology Faculty 1970-1980); J.S. Bubar (NSAC Class ’50, and Plant Science faculty); Stuart Smith (NSAC Faculty 1964 to 1991; Len Eaton (NSAC Professor of Biology circa 1970’s and 1980’s (?); and, Gordon Delaney.
This file contains “Territorial spoils, transnational Black resistance, and Canada’s evolving autonomy during the First World War” by Paula Hastings. Histoire sociale / Social History. v. XLVII : no. 94, p.443-470. June 2014. From p.457 Wilfred Alleyne DeCosta is incorrectly noted as one of the founding editors of the Atlantic Advocate, Wilfred Alleyne was the son born in 1908 in Halifax to Wilfred Aldophus and Miriam A. Alleyne.
This file contains excerpts from the thesis “The underside of glory : AfriCanadian enlistment in the Canadian expeditionary force, 1914-1917” by Sean Flynn Foyn. University of Ottawa. 1999. Excerpts concern W.A. DeCosta’s role as publisher of the Atlantic Advocate and his military experience. http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/obj/s4/f2/dsk2/ftp03/MQ48151.pdf
This file contains reproductions of portraits of W. A. Costa, 2nd year Nova Scotia Agricultural College (1907), and W.A. DeCosta, President and Associate Editor of the Atlantic Advocate (1915). There is also a photographic reproduction of a recruitment poster of the No. 2 Construction Battalion.
This file contains the materials used in the “Is this our Aggie?” exhibit in March 2017 prepared for the African Heritage display at the MacRae. Included are timelines for Wilfred A. Costa and Wilfred Aldophus DeCosta and “Passing the Torch” - Dalhousie Libraries African Heritage Month 2017 flyer.
This file contains correspondence and specifications documents associated with the construction of the headhouse to greenhouse at the Nova Scotia Agricultural College in November 1913. The letters are either addressed to or written by Principal Melville Cumming.
This file contains materials related to the Nova Scotia Agricultural College Centennial Anniversary exhibit at the Colchester Historical Museum and materials related to other activities associated with the centennial celebrations. 2005.
This file contains an account of the donation of a tractor by Henry Ford to the Nova Scotia Agricultural College in 1917. Mr Ford had previously met then Premier the Honorable George H Murray and was introduced to Melville Cumming, Secretary for Agriculture and Principal of NSAC (1905-1927). There are annotations on the first page "Thanks very much - Len" and on the second page "He was here I understand on a trout fishing exhibition (expedition?)."
This file contains notes, correspondence and plans for the construction of the new science building (now known as the Harlow Institute) and dormitory (Trueman Hall) and Agricultural Engineering building as well as renovations to various other school and farm buildings between 1947 and 1956 at the Truro Campus of the Nova Scotia Agricultural College. Main body of material is from 1953-1954.
This file contains photos of students and faculty within buildings (laboratories, barns, library, machinery shed, and mess hall), and outdoors on campus at various spaces including farm yard, residences, and fields. These were taken in the 1960's and 1970's
File contains the original photograph and a reproduction of the Nova Scotia Agricultural College's Principal's Residence circa 1910. It was built in 1908 and was removed in 1978 as the site was selected for the new dining hall.