Fonds UA-43 - Nova Scotia Agricultural College fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Nova Scotia Agricultural College fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material
  • Object
  • Moving images
  • Sound recording

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description



Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1892-2012 (Creation)
    Nova Scotia Agricultural College

Physical description area

Physical description

1.17 m of textual records
679 photographs
14.5 cm of graphic materials
7 books
1 video cassette
44 artifacts

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The Nova Scotia Agricultural College (NSAC) was the third centre for agricultural education and research to be established in Canada. The college was created in 1905 through a merger of the School of Agriculture, set up in 1885 at the Provincial Normal School; the Provincial Farm, founded in 1889 at Bible Hill; and the School of Horticulture, established in 1894 in Wolfville. The new agricultural campus was centred around the farm at Bible Hill and a newly constructed science building. While NSAC's primary role was to educate and prepare farmers for practice, some students completed degrees at Macdonald College at McGill University or at the Ontario Agricultural College in Guelph. Many of these graduates entered government and were among the early Canadian leaders in agricultural public service.

In 1913, campus facilities and programs were expanded in response to federal funding for agricultural education; among the initiatives were home economics education, women’s institutes, rural science and youth training. Government demand for increased food production during World War One further enhanced agricultural education, while pressures from NSAC field staff led to the formation of the Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources and, later, the Department of Agriculture. During the 1920s and 1930s, the college made significant contributions to improving the genetic base of Atlantic Canadian farm livestock.

After World War Two there was a surge in enrolment in response to veterans seeking agricultural training, and the college was further challenged when a fire in 1946 destroyed the science building. A temporary campus at the military hospital facilities in Debert, NS, served until 1953, when a new science building—now known as the Harlow Institute—and a central heating plant enabled the move back to the Bible Hill campus. In 1959 the first campus residence was opened.

During the 1960s, requirements for a more comprehensive vocational and technical agricultural education spurred the development of additional residences, three new academic buildings, new barns and campus services. NSAC's central role was formalized by the four Atlantic provinces in the 1960s, and the degree program was officially recognized through the Maritime Provinces Higher Education Commission. Continued growth throughout the 1970s saw women enrolling in larger numbers, and women’s sports teams and new student services were created, including the Athletic Centre and a new dining hall. The former auditorium in Cumming Hall was redeveloped as the Alumni Theatre.

Provincial legislation in the 1980s enabled an academic agreement with Dalhousie University for degree granting purposes, and September 1981 was the first year that NSAC students were registered into a full four-year BSc program in one of four areas of specialization: Agricultural Economics, Animal Science, Plant Protection and Plant Science. More facilities were built during the 1980s, including the library, Animal Science building, and an extension to the Cox Institute. Growth in faculty and expanded research activities followed, along with increased opportunities in international development programs. In the early 1990s, graduate studies were developed, with MSc and PhD degrees conferred by Dalhousie University.
On July 1, 2012, NSAC became Dalhousie University's Faculty of Agriculture, remaining a distinct campus within the university, led by a principal/dean, a dual role that oversees both academic programs and local campus services and supports.

Custodial history

Records were transferred to the Agricola Archives from various donors, including alumni and people in the agricultural industry, and departments of the Nova Scotia Agricultural College campus.

Scope and content

Fonds contains textual material, photos, artifacts, slides, paintings, and a video cassette created by the School of Agriculture, the College of Agriculture, and the Nova Scotia Agricultural College, between 1892 and 2012. Series include records of an administrative nature, departments on campus, buildings, photographs, student and faculty records, events, curriculum, and the institutions history.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no access restrictions on these materials. All materials are open for research.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Materials do not circulate and must be used in the MacRae Library. Materials may be under copyright. Contact departmental staff for guidance on reproduction.

Finding aids

Associated materials


Further accruals are possible.

General note

Preferred citation: [Identification of item], Nova Scotia Agricultural College fonds, UA-43, Box [box number], Folder [folder number], Dalhousie University Archives, Agricola Archives, Bible Hill, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Name access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

2019 (creation)
May 2020 (revision)

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area