Fonds UA-38 - Dalhousie Women's Club fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Dalhousie Women's Club fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

UA-38

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1948-1995 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

29.1 cm of textual records and other material. - 178 photographs. - 52 puppets. - 3 costumes. - 1 prop.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1951-1995)

Administrative history

The Dalhousie Women's Club (DWC) was established in 1951 largely through the efforts of Jean Elizabeth Macdonald (née Frazer) and Evelyn Olive Longard (née Nickerson), both of whom were alumnae members of the Board of Governors. The purpose of the club was to promote acquaintance and friendship among the women of Dalhousie University, King's College and affiliated institutions.

Tea parties, dances, fashion shows, guest lectures and field trips provided an opportunity for club members and their families to convene. In addition, the DWC organized a special luncheon each September—referred to as the “Newcomers' Party”—for incoming female faculty members and the wives of male faculty.

During the 1960s the DWC began forming interest groups such as a book club and the “out to lunch” club. The Dalhousie Women's Club ceased operation in 1995.

Custodial history

The materials were deposited at Dalhousie University Archives in ten accessions. The first accession took place in 1978, followed by three in 1984, one in 1985 and in 1986, two in 1993, one in 1995, and the final in 1999. Prior to that, the records were in the custody of the Dalhousie Women's Club, Pauline Hillis, Vaila Mowatt, Margaret Sewell, Grace Wambolt, Janet Leffek, Leslie Stockhausen, and Betty Chute.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of annual reports, records pertaining to interest groups formed within the club, membership information, minutes and agendas, administrative records, newsletters, photographs, and records for committees, events, and finances.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

The records are arranged chronologically, except where noted.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no access restrictions on these materials. All materials are open for research.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Materials do not circulate and must be used in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room. Materials may be under copyright. Contact departmental staff for guidance on reproduction.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are possible, but not expected.

General note

Preferred citation: [Identification of item], Dalhousie Women's Club fonds, UA-38, Box [box number], Folder [folder number], Dalhousie University Archives, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

2003

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area