Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1855-1901, 1924 (Creation)
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
James Edward Dickie, Esq., was a prominent businessman in Stewiake Village (Upper Stewiake), Colchester County, Nova Scotia. The second son of Isaac Patton Dickie and Rebecca Barnhill, he was born in 1832 in Onslow, Colchester County, and was sometimes referred to as Edward in his early years.
Dickie briefly owned a store in Onslow with his older brother John Barnhill Dickie. The partnership dissolved around 1855 and James Dickie moved to Stewiacke Village in 1856 where he bought a general store from J.L. Walker. With his brothers-in-law, Frederick Tupper and George Fulton, he established J.E. Dickie and Company to operate the store. Fulton left the company in the mid-1870s to purchase his own store.
James Dickie was active in his community. He was an elder in his Presbyterian Church, held a number of professional appointments and shares in local communities, and served as the Justice of the Peace for Colchester County. He married Harriet Tupper in 1859 with whom he had six children who lived to adulthood: Alfred, Alice, Henry, Edwin, Bessie, and Laura. At one time or another all of the children assisted with the operation of the store, working as clerks and communicating with suppliers, customers, and employees. Edwin, in particular became very involved with the family’s business.
In 1890 the company was reformed as Messrs J.E. Dickie and Son to reflect Edwin’s growing participation and responsibilities. James Dickie’s health declined shortly thereafter and Edwin took over the business. James Dickie died in August of 1891.
Edwin Dickie began dealing under his own name as a wholesale and retail dealer and direct importer. A branch store at Brookfield, managed by Elijah Leard, was in operation by 1901. Edwin quit the store late in the fall of 1907, selling to his cousin Hedley Fulton, in order to settle in Vancouver, a move he had been considering since the mid 1890s. James R. Fulton was operating the Dickies’ former store in Stewiacke in 1924.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of documents illustrating the diverse interests of James Edward Dickie and his family. While nearly all of the records date from the ownership of the Stewiacke general store by James E. Dickie and his son Edwin, the fonds does contain one letter-book from 1924, when James R. Fulton managed the store.
This fonds consists of documents which fall into three main categories: business records related to the companies owned by the Dickies; correspondence which contains a mixture of both personal and business records; as well as the personal records of the Dickie family.
The fonds contains the following series: General Store (J.E. Dickie and Company; J.E. Dickie and Son; Edwin Dickie); Lumber Company (Dickie and Company); Nova Scotia Telephone Company; Stewiacke Valley and Lansdowne Railroad; Letters and Communications; James Edward Dickie; Harriet Tupper (Mrs. James E. Dickie); Edwin Dickie; Rev. Dr. Henry Dickie; and Rachel Dickie (Upham? – lodger in 1901 census).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material