Fonds MS-2-456 - Dalhousie-King's Reading Club fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Dalhousie-King's Reading Club fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1925-2010 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

46 cm of textual records. - 45 photographs ; b&w and col. ; 10 x 15 cm or smaller

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The Dalhousie-King's Reading Club was founded in 1925. Comprised of faculty members and their spouses from Dalhousie University and King's College, the club presents social/educational sessions on a monthly basis during the academic year. Sessions cover a wide range of topics and are delivered by both club members and invited guests. Sessions have been held at the homes of members as well as on either campus, when necessary.

When the club was founded, a President and Secretary were elected to manage the affairs of the club. They recorded meeting minutes, compiled annual reports and member lists, and managed the clubs minimal financial expenditures. The make-up of the executive has evolved throughout the years and has now grown to include a Vice-President, Treasurer, Past-President, Members at Large, and someone to oversee membership. Club Presidents were traditionally elected for one-year terms. Each meeting was presented by a hostess and two co-hostesses, all whom volunteered to do so.

On September 28, 2015, the reading club celebrated its 90th anniversary with the launch of a cookbook titled "Still…Followed by Refreshments."

Custodial history

The materials were donated to Dalhousie University Archives in eight accessions by members of the Dalhousie-King's Reading Club from 1981 to 2013. Prior to that, the records were in the custody of Rosemary Gorelick (1981 and 1982 accessions), Judy MacLean (1991 and 1993 accessions, as well as a 2012 accession with Guy MacLean), and Betty Chute (1995). The custodial history of the 2000 and 2013 accessions is unknown.

Scope and content

Fonds consists primarily of meeting minutes, membership and attendance lists, programmes, a copy of the club’s sixty-fifth anniversary cookbook, correspondence, and miscellaneous papers which include photos and records related to the club’s anniversary events.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script note


Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no access restrictions on these materials. All materials are open for research.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Materials do not circulate and must be used in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room. Materials may be under copyright. Contact departmental staff for guidance on reproduction.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


No further accruals are expected.

General note

Preferred citation: [Identification of item], Dalhousie-King's Reading Club fonds, MS-2-456, Box [box number], Folder [folder number], Dalhousie University Archives, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Name access points

Accession area