Fonds MS-2-62, SF Box 19, Folders 1-3 - Pictou Literary and Scientific Society fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Pictou Literary and Scientific Society fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MS-2-62, SF Box 19, Folders 1-3

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1828-1861 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

7 cm of textual records (3 folders)

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Pictou Literary and Scientific Society was established by a group of Pictou residents on December 8, 1834 with the aim of improving the members' knowledge of science and literature through weekly lectures and discussions. The officers of the society, as stated in the 1836 "Rules of the Pictou Literary and Scientific Society," included a president, two vice-presidents, a secretary and treasurer, and a four-person management committee.

The society’s lectures covered a range of topics reflecting the knowledge and interests of its membership, with the exceptions of religion and politics. Among the notable speakers welcomed by the society were Dr. Thomas McCulloch and a young William Dawson.The society drew to a close due to waning interest and held its last meeting on April 12, 1855.

Custodial history

Fonds was accessioned by Dalhousie University Archives in 1970. The materials were donated to the Dalhousie University Library by Dr. J.D. Logan and Dr. H.F. Munro, who acquired them from friends. Prior to being aquired by Dr. Logan, the manuscript "Memorial on Behalf of the Literary and Philosophical Institution of Pictou" was in the custody of the Scammell family. Volumes 1 and 2 were found in the MacMechan papers.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of materials related to the Pictou Literary and Scientific Society and includes four volumes of documents containing the society’s rules, minutes, and journal.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no access restrictions on these materials. All materials are open for research.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Materials do not circulate and must be used in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room. Materials may be under copyright. Contact departmental staff for guidance on reproduction.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are not expected.

General note

Preferred citation: [Identification of item], Pictou Literary and Scientific Society fonds, MS-2-62, Box [box number], Folder [folder number], Dalhousie University Archives, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Name access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

2006

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area