Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
During the 1850s, philanthropists and medical practitioners in the Halifax area recognised the need to establish a medical and drug clinic for indigent individuals and families in the city. The Halifax Visiting Dispensary (HVD) was thus established in 1856 with the intention of providing free or subsidized medical services and medicine to those in need. Regarded as a "red feather" agency, the HVD was primarily financed by private donations, endowment funds, city grants from Halifax and Dartmouth and the community chest.
For many years the dispensary operated out of a clinic on Brunswick Street. The city morgue was situated in the basement of this building and the HVD had offices on the first few floors. The HVD provided specialized services for the treatment of women and children. In addition, doctors offered daily medical and surgical clinics as well as weekly dental, eye, ear, nose, and throat clinics. The dispensary provided medical services and prescription drugs for diseases such as diabetes, arthritis, scarlet fever, typhoid fever, diphtheria, small pox, and consumption. For individuals who were too ill to visit the clinic, a rotating staff of doctors would offer home medical services.
In 1924, the HVD moved into the Dalhousie University Public Health Clinic (DUPHC), which took over the medical and surgical work. The distribution of drug prescriptions and surgical supplies, however, continued to be provided by the HVD. Although the HVD was part of the DUPHC, it was still considered to be a separate organisation, had its own Board of Directors, and administrated its own funds. The HVD had a staff of two - a registered Druggist and a certified Clerk. The visiting medical staff of doctors was reimbursed for their work through funds from the dispensary.
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Fonds is arranged into six series: Annual Reports; Administrative records; Financial records; Correspondence; Patient information; and Publicity.
Records are arranged chronologically within series where possible, unless otherwise noted.
Language of material