Fonds MS-2-775 - Creelman Family fonds

Photograph of a bridge on the Rhine waterfront Photograph of the Bonn Minster Photograph of the Beethoven House Photograph of the University of Bonn Photograph of the Bundeshaus Photograph of the Hammerschmidt Villa Photograph of the Rhine river Photograph of Beuel from Bonn Photograph of the Rhine with bridge Photograph of the Rhine with bridge Photograph of the Rhine from the Zoll Photograph of the Rhine from the Zoll Photograph of the Rhine from the Zoll Photograph of the Bonn Minster, partially blocked Photograph of the Bonn Minster with unidentified man in front Photograph of the Old Town Hall (Rathaus) in Bonn Photograph of a bird on the road in Bonn Photograph of houses, walkway and mountain in Cochem Photograph of buildings and fountain in Cochem Photograph of buildings and fountain in Cochem Photograph of the Mosel River Photograph of the Mosel River with walking path Photograph of a house near the Mosel River below Lasserg Photograph of a mountain near Mosel River below Lasserg Photograph of a house near Lasserg Photograph of the Mosel Valley from Lasserg Photograph of the Mosel Valley from Lasserg Photograph of Cochem from the Mosel Valley Photograph of two unidentified people looking over Cochem Photograph of the Cochem Imperial castle Photograph of the city of Trier Photograph of the Basilica of Constantine Photograph of the Porta Nigra Photograph of the Trier Amphitheater from inside Photograph of the Trier Amphitheater looking in Photograph of the Trier Amphitheater from an entrance Photograph of the Porta Nigra from the side Photograph of the Porta Nigra from the side, vertical Photograph of the Church of Our Lady (Liebfrauenkirche) Photograph of life on the market, Trier Photograph of the Rhine upsteam from the Drachenfels Photograph of the Rhine upsteam from the Drachenfels Photograph of the Rhine towards Bonn from the Drachenfels Photograph of the Rhine upsteam from the Drachenfels Photograph of the Rhine towards Bonn from the Drachenfels Photograph of the Altes Haus (Old House) in Bacharach Photograph of the Lorelei (Loreley) Photograph of Katz Castle above St. Goarshausen Photograph of the Fürstenberg Castle ruins Photograph of the Cologne Cathedral (Kölner Dom) with main station and various buildings
Results 1 to 50 of 197 Show all

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Creelman Family fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MS-2-775

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1887-1999 (Creation)
    Creator
    Creelman Family

Physical description area

Physical description

2.71 m of textual records and graphic material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Annie MacKay (1876-1944) married Thomas Wilson Creelman (1879-1933) in 1915. Annie was the eldest daughter of Roderick MacKay (1849-1936) and Margaret (Maggie) Gray Murray (1852-1942) of Pictou County. The MacKays settled in Pictou County and called their homestead "Dunrobin." They had nine children: Annie (Feb. 20, 1876- September 24, 1944), Alexander (Nov. 24, 1877 – 1899), Murdoch Arthur (June 1881-Dec. 1971), Isabella Bertha (Nov. 25, 1883-Dec17, 1963), Katherine Mary (June 22, 1891-January 1963), Ina Ethel (February 3, 1894-June 4, 1986), Allister Murray (August 1900-February 12, 1922), Murdoch David (1880), Angus Herdman (1888). Alexander MacKay drowned while attending Dalhousie. Allister died of tuburculosis. Murdoch David and Angus died in infancy.

Annie MacKay and Thomas Creelman met in Halifax, where Thomas worked for The Imperial Oil Company, as an accountant and Annie worked as a part-time teacher. They married in 1915 and moved to Ontario where Thomas was transferred. He was employed with The Imperial Oil Company until he passed away in 1933. While he was employed with the oil company he was transferred to various places. He was in Halifax, Montreal, Toronto and Sarnia, Ontario, Winnipeg, Manitoba and he spent 5 years in South America. Annie and Thomas had one son, William MacKay Creelman.

William MacKay (Mack) Creelman, (1918-1985) was born in Sarnia, Ontario. After his Father died in 1933 he moved with his mother to Halifax. He completed his high school at the Halifax Academy in 1936 and came to Dalhousie to study math and physics. He received his BSc and 1940 and his MSc in 1942. We was a member of the Engineering Institute of Canada. After graduating from Dalhousie University in 1942 with a M.Sc. in Physics, Mack Creelman joined the Halifax Naval Group of the National Research Council which became the Naval Research Establishment (NRE) in the spring of 1943. He also joined the Navy. He continued with NRE until 1945 when he was appointed to the staff of the Commodore Superintendent HMC Dockyard as Supervising Inspector, Electrical Anti-Mining (Maritimes) responsible for all electrical mine countermeasures in the Atlantic Command. He retired from the Navy as a Lieutenant (L) RCN (R) in the fall of 1946 and joined the staff of the Manager, Electrical Engineering HMC Dockyard with the same duties as a naval officer.

Through his work at the Naval Research Establishment in Halifax, Mack met his wife H.G. (Nancy) Littlejohns (1923-1963). They married in June 1954, they had three children, June, David and William. Nancy passed away with cancer in July 1963.

In 1955, Creelman transferred to Naval Headquarters to head the degaussing section of the Electrical Engineer-in-Chief in Ottawa. Four years later, he was named head of the Passive Protection Section, Director Maritime Facilities and Resources at NDHQ. He retired in 1983 after 40 years’ service.

Please see also “Memoirs of WMC” MS-2-775, Box 8, Folder 13.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This accession contains photographs, correspondence, postcards and other memorabilia from various members of the Creelman family.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no access restrictions on these materials.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Materials do not circulate and must be used in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are not expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

May 2013

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area