Fonds MS-4-39 - William Roué fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

William Roué fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Technical drawing

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MS-4-39

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1919-1964 (Creation)
    Creator
    Roué, William

Physical description area

Physical description

60 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1879-1970)

Biographical history

William Roué was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia on April 27, 1879 to James and Grace (Penaligan) Roué. He married Winnifred Conrod in 1908 and had four children named James (Jim), Harry, William F, and Frances. Roué studied mechanical drafting at the Victoria School of Art and Design.
Roué had a passion for boating from an early age, having built toy boats as a child, and designed his first mathematically calculated yacht for his mentor Frank H. Bell in 1907. In 1920, Roué received a contract to design a fishing schooner to compete for the International Fisherman’s Trophy. His design, the Bluenose, was launched in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, on March 26, 1921, and went on to win many competitions.
Roué also worked for his father’s firm, Roué Carbonated Waters. The firm was sold in 1929 and Roué became a full-time naval architect in 1934.
In 1934, Roué moved to City Island, New York with his wife and joined a naval architecture firm called Ford and Payne, which became Ford, Payne, and W. J. Roué. He returned to Nova Scotia in 1936. In 1942, Roué invented the sectional barge. He worked as a naval architect until his death on February 27, 1970.

Custodial history

Accession 1971-143 was donated by Mrs. Stevens in November 1971.

Scope and content

Fonds contains the correspondence (1919-1964); specifications of design (1930-1964); financial records; ship plans; and other records of William Roué.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Materials do not circulate and must be used in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room.  Materials may be under copyright.  Contact departmental staff for guidance on reproduction.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

2018

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres