Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Sons of Temperance was founded in 1842 by New York printers John and Isaac Oliver, who wanted to distance their order from some of the less respectable fraternal organizations that grew up around abstinence and prohibition movements. The organization expanded rapidly, remaining strongest in urban centres in the northeastern United States. In 1847 the Acadia Division was chartered in Nova Scotia by the Reverend William Ashley, who also served as the “deputy most worthy patriarch” for the National Division. Within five months Nova Scotia boasted ten divisions and 600 members, as well as a Grand Division.
In Maitland, Nova Scotia, the Lorne Division was preceded by the Rock Division by at least twenty years. The overlap in the divisions' membership and leadership suggests that the Lorne Division replaced the Rock Division. Although not officially formed as Division No. 445 until 1878, there are organizational records dating back to 1874, when there were 13 positions in the Roll of Officers, including the top position of Worthy Chief. In 1875 the number of positions decreased to 12. On 4 November 1878 the Maitland branch was formed and called the Lorne Division No. 445. Seven officers were elected, committees were formed, and it was determined that regular Friday-night meetings were to be held in Putnam's Hall. Meetings included attendance, reading of minutes and discussion of business and organizational matters, followed by entertainments such as speeches or readings.