Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Yvon LeBlanc was born on July 25, 1918 in Moncton, New Brunswick. After completing his high school education, he served in the Royal Canadian Airforce as a radar technician from 1940-1945. During this time, he spent four years overseas, where he was attached to the RAF for two years, with the RCAF for one year, and had one year's leave to attend Balliol College, Oxford. In 1951 LeBlanc received his B. Arch. from McGill University, Montreal. He was employed by CNR Montreal and the National Research Council in Ottawa before joining a private practice from 1954 to 1965, in which he was in partnership with LeBlanc & Gaudet and LeBlanc, Gaudet, Roy & Siemers.
LeBlanc received a Canada Council grant in 1960/1961 to study theatre architecture in Europe and in 1962 was hired as a consultant for the building of the Confederation Center for Performing Arts in Ottawa. In 1966 he designed the Dalhousie Arts Centre, Halifax. He was appointed Regional Architect for Parks Canada, Halifax from 1966 to 1967 and then served as Planning Architect for Université de Moncton from 1967 to 1971, where he was also an occasional lecturer.
In 1971/1972 he was the Design Architect for Public Works, Halifax and from 1972 to 1983 was the first Resident Architect at the Fortress of Louisbourg. He retired to France in 1983, where he continued to research, write, and consult on the historic fortress. In 2001, LeBlanc received an Honorary Doctorate from Université de Moncton.