J. Pillans & Sons

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

J. Pillans & Sons

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



James Pillans, an apprentice of William Smellie, opened his own printing shop in Edinburgh in 1775. Soon afterwords, his son Hugh joined the company and it became J. Pillans & Son. In 1827, when another son John merged his company with J. Pillans & Son, it became H. & J. Pillans. In 1886, it became H. & J. Pillans & Wilson with the appointment of W. Scott Wilson as a partner. The company was bought by Colorgraphic PLC from England in 1987.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places