Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1956-1965, bulk 1960 and 1965 (Creation)
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Halifax Seed Company, founded in 1866 by Fred and John Tregunno, is the oldest seed merchant in Canada. The company was originally located at 151 Granville Street in Halifax. However, the building was destroyed in 1917 in the Halifax Explosion, and the company relocated to 5860 Kane Street.
Fred Tregunno owned and worked at the Halifax Seed Company until his death on July 30, 1960. At his death, his sons Warren Tregunno (1929-) and Paul Tregunno (1937-), already employed by the company, took over administrative control. Warren Tregunno, who served as vice-president and treasurer, had graduated from the Truro Agriculture College and Mount Allison Commercial College; his brother Paul graduated from Dalhousie with a commerce degree.
Still in operation in 2011, the company has corporate outlets in New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.
Scope and content
The fonds contains business correspondence between the Halifax Seed Company and their associates worldwide as well as two ledger books. Advertisements and printed matter originally enclosed with correspondence provide an insight into the 1960s relevant beyond their connection to the Halifax Seed Company.
The company has been in operation for 137 years, yet the collection lacks information before 1956 and after 1965.
Immediate source of acquisition
The ordering of records in this collection was somewhat altered in 2003 in that advertisements from the company's suppliers were removed from their appropriate files and compiled in a separate series.
All correspondence was originally filed alphabetically by company name; this ordering remains. Some files included photographs that were removed and placed in a subsequent file as a conservation measure.
The company's ledgers are arranged alphabetically by customer and supplier from 1956 to 1960
Language of material