Fonds UA-31 - Faculty of Science fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Faculty of Science fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

UA-31

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1883-2016 (Creation)
    Creator
    Dalhousie University. Faculty of Science.
    Place
    Halifax (N.S.)

Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1842-)

Administrative history

Dalhousie’s Faculty of Science was founded in 1987 but it dates as far back as 1842 when Dalhousie’s first science professor of natural science, James MacIntosh began teaching chemistry. The first dedicated professor of chemistry, George Lawson, was appointed in 1863. The Faculty of Science was formally established in 1877, and turned into the Faculty of Pure and Applied Science in 1891/92. The geology program was established in 1879. The University’s organizational structure changed again in 1906 when the Faculty of Arts and the Department of Pure Science were merged into the Faculty of Arts and Science, while the Department of Applied Science became the Faculty of Engineering.

Dalhousie has offered graduate programs in science since the 1900s. James Forrest was the first to receive a postgraduate degree at Dalhousie, earning a Master of Arts with his thesis "The Science of Chemistry, Its History and Progress,” and the first Master of Science degree was awarded in 1904 to W.H. Ross. During this period, deans included James MacGregor (1891) and Ebenezer MacKay (1902), who was also the first honours graduate in Chemistry from Dalhousie in 1886. In 1956, the departments of Bacteriology, Biochemistry, Biology, Pharmacology, and Physiology were combined into the Division of Biological Sciences, which began offering a PhD program. Dalhousie built the Institute of Oceanography in 1951, and the Oceanography department was officially founded in 1971.

Dalhousie’s current Faculty of Science was founded in 1987, after consideration from a Presidential Advisory Committee on the Structure of the Faculty of Arts and Science consisting of R.J. Smith (Chair) (humanities), D. Braybrooke (social sciences), B.K. Hall (life sciences) and C. Field (physical sciences). The Faculty was split into three faculties (Arts and Social Sciences, Science, and Education), and each department was allowed to choose where it wished to belong. Donald D. Betts became the first dean of the Faculty of Science in 1988.

In 1988, the Faculty of Science had 233 regular staff, with at least fifty percent working full time. In the 1988/89 academic year, the Faculty’s Academic Plan began to provide advanced major options in almost all BSc areas. In the same year, a PhD program in Clinical Psychology was approved, and Dr. Nahomi Fujiki became the first woman to graduate with a PhD in Physics. The Dalhousie University Faculty of Science Award for Excellence in Teaching was created in 1990, and was first awarded to Dr. Patrick N. Stewart of the Department of Mathematics, Statistics and Computing Science.

As of 2017, Dalhousie’s Faculty of Science includes eleven departments and academic units: Biology; Chemistry; Earth Sciences; Economics; the Environmental Science, Marine Affairs, and Medical Sciences programs; Mathematics and Statistics; Oceanography; Physics and Atmospheric Science; and Psychology and Neuroscience. The Faculty also has a large number of facilities, including an Aquatron Laboratory, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Research Resource (NMR-3), a greenhouse and an herbarium.

Custodial history

The first transfer of University administrative records from the Faculty of Science was made in 1996 (accession 1996-031). Materials have been transferred on an irregular basis since then.

Scope and content

Fonds contains records of the Faculty of Science at Dalhousie University, including records created in the Dean's Office and by the Department of Psychology, Department of Economics, Department of Chemistry, Department of Earth Sciences, and other units within the faculty.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Fonds is arranged into several sous-fonds.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Description created on November 6, 2017.

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area