Title and statement of responsibility area
Dalhousie University No. 7 Stationary Hospital collection
General material designation
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1915 - 1977 (Creation)
- Canada. Canadian Army Medical Corps. Canadian Stationary Hospital, no. 7
Physical description area
5 cm of textual records and graphic material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Dalhousie No. 7 Overseas Stationary Hospital came into being as a result of the university's fifth-year medical students volunteering their collective services to the war effort in August 1914. President Mackenzie wrote to the War Office with an offer on behalf of Dalhousie to raise, staff and equip a stationary hospital similar to those recruited from other Canadian universities. Twice rejected, in September 1915 Dalhousie’s proposal was finally authorized and two months later the hospital was mobilized, having recruited a staff of 165. Of the twelve medical officers, most were Dalhousie graduates or faculty, while many of the 27 nurses were graduates of the Victoria General Hospital, including Matron Laura Hubley. Fourteen enrolled students and nine alumni joined the unit as privates. The newly formed unit was given the University’s former Medical College Building as training quarters, and on 31 December 1915, the No. 7 embarked from St. John, New Brunswick. Under the command of John Stewart, later Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, from May 1917 to April 1918, the No. 7 served in the “Evacuation Zone,” where patients transferred from front-line clearing hospitals were treated and stabilized before being moved to hospitals in their own countries. The medical officers and nurses nurses returned to Halifax in May 1919. The stationary hospital was disbanded by General Order 211 of 15 November 1920.
Records were donated to the Dalhousie University Archives in three accessions: by Col. Samuel R. Balcom and T.H. Dickson in 1977, and by Leslie Pezzack in 2012. Custodial history for the 1987 accession is unknown.
Scope and content
Collection consists of a booklet about the history of the No. 7 Stationary Hospital, correspondence of nursing matron Laura Hubley, a book of signatures of the unit's members, and correspondence and a small album containing postcards sent by Sgt. A. Fraser Tupper (who worked with the unit in 1916 and 1917) to his nephew, Ralph Kane.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no access restrictions on these materials. All materials are open for research.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Materials do not circulate and must be used in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room. Materials may be under copyright. Contact departmental staff for guidance on reproduction.
Further accruals are not expected.
Preferred citation: [Identification of item], Dalhousie University No.7 Stationary Hospital collection, MS-13-2, Box [box number], Folder [folder number], Dalhousie University Archives, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Standard number area
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion