Showing 15 results

Authority Record
Family

Bigelow Family

  • Family

The Bigelow family was involved in shipbuilding in the Kings County region of Nova Scotia for five generations. Amasa Bigelow (1755-1799) arrived in Cornwallis c. 1762 with his New England Planter father and became a ship’s carpenter, later operating a sawmill on Deep Hollows Mountain. He married Roxana Cone in 1775. The eldest of their eleven children, Ebenezer (1776-1860), established a shipyard at Oak Point, Kingsport, where he designed, built and sailed a variety of small vessels. He was married in 1804 to Nancy Rand, with whom he had six children.

Ebenezer Jr. (1815-1899) followed in his father’s footsteps and in 1838 established his own shipyard in Canning, Nova Scotia. Over the next fifty years he was the master builder on 67 ships, from 12-tonne sloops to the 1164-tonne Arbela, designed by his son Gideon.

Ebenezer, Jr. married Waity Sanford in 1834 and had 10 children, three of whom (John, Gideon and Samuel) joined him in the Bigelow Shipyard, eventually taking it over after his death in 1889. They in turn were joined by Ebenezer, Jr.’s grandsons, Scott and Halle, whose vessels included 4 tern schooners and one steamship, the Brunswick (1909). The last ship built in the Bigelow Shipyard was the Cape Blomidon, which was launched in 1919.

Blackburn Family

  • Family
  • fl. 1837-1949
The Blackburn family were farmers in Shubenacadie and Milford, Nova Scotia. John Alexander was born in 1867 to Joseph J. Blackburn and Margaret Wardrap. He married Emily Walker in 1895. Thomas A. Blackburn, born in Shubenacadie in 1865 and possibly a cousin to John Alexander, was the son of Thomas Blackburn and Louisa Ellis.

Creelman Family

  • Family

Annie MacKay (1876-1944) married Thomas Wilson Creelman (1879-1933) in 1915. Annie was the eldest daughter of Roderick MacKay (1849-1936) and Margaret (Maggie) Gray Murray (1852-1942) of Pictou County. The MacKays settled in Pictou County and called their homestead "Dunrobin." They had nine children: Annie (Feb. 20, 1876- September 24, 1944), Alexander (Nov. 24, 1877 – 1899), Murdoch Arthur (June 1881-Dec. 1971), Isabella Bertha (Nov. 25, 1883-Dec17, 1963), Katherine Mary (June 22, 1891-January 1963), Ina Ethel (February 3, 1894-June 4, 1986), Allister Murray (August 1900-February 12, 1922), Murdoch David (1880), Angus Herdman (1888). Alexander MacKay drowned while attending Dalhousie. Allister died of tuburculosis. Murdoch David and Angus died in infancy.

Annie MacKay and Thomas Creelman met in Halifax, where Thomas worked for The Imperial Oil Company, as an accountant and Annie worked as a part-time teacher. They married in 1915 and moved to Ontario where Thomas was transferred. He was employed with The Imperial Oil Company until he passed away in 1933. While he was employed with the oil company he was transferred to various places. He was in Halifax, Montreal, Toronto and Sarnia, Ontario, Winnipeg, Manitoba and he spent 5 years in South America. Annie and Thomas had one son, William MacKay Creelman.

William MacKay (Mack) Creelman, (1918-1985) was born in Sarnia, Ontario. After his Father died in 1933 he moved with his mother to Halifax. He completed his high school at the Halifax Academy in 1936 and came to Dalhousie to study math and physics. He received his BSc and 1940 and his MSc in 1942. We was a member of the Engineering Institute of Canada. After graduating from Dalhousie University in 1942 with a M.Sc. in Physics, Mack Creelman joined the Halifax Naval Group of the National Research Council which became the Naval Research Establishment (NRE) in the spring of 1943. He also joined the Navy. He continued with NRE until 1945 when he was appointed to the staff of the Commodore Superintendent HMC Dockyard as Supervising Inspector, Electrical Anti-Mining (Maritimes) responsible for all electrical mine countermeasures in the Atlantic Command. He retired from the Navy as a Lieutenant (L) RCN (R) in the fall of 1946 and joined the staff of the Manager, Electrical Engineering HMC Dockyard with the same duties as a naval officer.

Through his work at the Naval Research Establishment in Halifax, Mack met his wife H.G. (Nancy) Littlejohns (1923-1963). They married in June 1954, they had three children, June, David and William. Nancy passed away with cancer in July 1963.

In 1955, Creelman transferred to Naval Headquarters to head the degaussing section of the Electrical Engineer-in-Chief in Ottawa. Four years later, he was named head of the Passive Protection Section, Director Maritime Facilities and Resources at NDHQ. He retired in 1983 after 40 years’ service.

Please see also “Memoirs of WMC” MS-2-775, Box 8, Folder 13.

Creighton Family

  • Family
The Creighton family of Halifax consisted of parents Graham and Catherine (Murray) Creighton and their children Edith, Anna, Lois, Frieda, Howard, and Wilfred. The family is known to have resided in Halifax on Roome Street, Gottingen Street, Oakland Road, and eventually 14 LeMarchant Street (later renumbered to 1234 LeMarchant Street). They also resided in Middle Musquodoboit for a time around 1908.

Culp Family

  • Family
The Culps of Lunenburg are descended from Johan Jacob Kolb, who arrived in Nova Scotia with his parents in 1750 on the Ann. After surrenduring to the British in Louisbourg they were sent to Lunenburg in 1758. Kolb was married to Anna Maria Magdalena Schloer, with whom he had 12 children.

Gass Family

  • Family
The Gass Family lived in Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia. Robert Gass was born in 1861 in Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia, to James and Nancy Gass. He owned a general store and lumber mill. In 1884 he married Nerissa Miller, with whom he had ten children. Their eldest child and only daughter, Clare, was born in Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia, on 18 March 1887. Clare was later known for the diary she kept during the First World War. As an adolescent, she attended the Church School for Girls, a private Anglican school in Windsor, Nova Scotia (later the Edgehill School). Three years after her graduation in 1905, she left home for Montreal to train as a nurse at the Montreal General Hospital School of Nursing from 1909 to 1912, afterwards taking up private nursing practice for three years. After a brief training period in Quebe, she left for Europe in May of 1915 as a Lieutenant nursing sister with the Canadian Army Medical Corps, No. 3 Canadian General Hospital (McGill). From 1915-1918, she was posted mainly in France, with some time spent stationed in Cliveden, England, and Rhyl, Wales, and served in multiple hospitals. She spent the year after the war on transport duty, tending to wounded soldiers returning home. She was demobilized in 1919 and returned to Montreal, where she left nursing to pursue social work. She worked in the Social Service Department of the Montreal General Hospital for 28 years before returning to her hometown. Robert Gass died in 1937. Clare Gass died at the age of 81 at the Camp Hill Veterans’ Hospital in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 5 August 1968.

Harding family

  • Family
The Harding family resided in Lockeport, Nova Scotia. William E. Harding was a merchant.

Highet, Robert and Iain

  • Family
Robert and Iain Highet became associated with the Centre for Art Tapes in the 1987 because of their involvement in the video recording entitled “Industrial Arts in Nova Scotia - The Future is Now” which became a part of the centre’s tape collection.

Locke Family

  • Family
The Locke Family are decedents from one of two original families that founded Lockeport, Nova Scotia. Churchill Locke owned and operated C. Locke & Company, a business that sold fish, salt, and other goods.

O'Brien family

  • Family
  • ca. 1800s

The O’Brien family were Nova Scotia mariners, beginning with Captain John O’Brien (b. 1789) and Mary Margaret Thomas (b. 1791), who had four children: Joseph (1813-1882); William Harrison (b. 1822); John Russell; and Hannah (d. 184-).

William and John sailed with their father before establishing families of their own. William settled in England, marrying a widow with one daughter; they had another daughter together. Poor health forced him to leave the sea and become a shoemaker. John Russell settled in Boston, Massachusetts, where he married Mary Caroline and had five children, two of whom died in infancy.

Joseph O’Brien became a master mariner and married Janet Russell, who was born in 1816 in Wallace, Nova Scotia. Joseph became captain of the Janet, which was lost on Rio de la Plata, Argentina, in January 1868. The insurance payout allowed Joseph to buy 32 shares of a new barque, the Eliza Oulton, built by John Oulton in Pugwash, Nova Scotia. Joseph and Janet had three sons and two daughters: John Russell (b. 1841); Thomas (b. 1845); Alexander (b. 1852); Margaret (b. 1844); and Primrose (b. 1854). All three sons became master mariners before their father Joseph O’Brien died in 1882.

John O’Brien was married in 1868 to Susan Elizabeth Morris, the great-granddaughter of the Honourable Charles Morris of Halifax, first Surveyor General of Nova Scotia. Together they had one child, Elizabeth Olga, who born in 1869 on the Eliza Oulton while in the Russian harbour of Poti on the Black Sea. John O’Brien died of yellow fever six months later on the Island of St. Thomas in the West Indies, and Susan returned home to Wallace, Nova Scotia, to raise Elizabeth with the help of her parents.

Following John’s death, Thomas O’Brien became master of the Eliza Oulton, and the youngest brother, Alexander, sailed as a mate. Thomas married Maggie, with whom he had three children, and lived in Pictou, Nova Scotia, while continuing to sail for a living. Alexander married and eventually settled with his family in California.

Margaret O’Brien accompanied her brother, John, and her Uncle William on a two-year voyage, after which she worked as a milliner, married David MacLean and moved to Stellarton, Nova Scotia, where husband established a medical practice. Margaret was widowed shortly after the birth of their only child in 1876.

The youngest O'Brien child, Primrose ("Sis”), married Nathaniel Purdy and moved to Waltham, Massachusetts.

Oland Family

  • Family
  • 1865-

The Oland family was involved in the brewing industry for more than one hundred years. John James Dunn Oland and Susannah Woodhouse Culverwell immigrated from England to Nova Scotia with their nine children in 1865. By 1867, they began brewing beer in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. The family tradition of brewing continued until they sold Oland and Son, Limited and A. Keith and Son Limited in 1971.

Members of the Oland family were active philanthropists and contributors to their Nova Scotia communities, supporting a variety of activities and organizations, including sports, art, education, agriculture, and the Army and Navy. Members of the family continue to reside in Atlantic Canada.

A comprehensive diagram of the Oland family tree can be found in G. Brenton Haliburton's What's Brewing: Oland, 1867-1971, A History (Tantallon, NS: Four East Publications, 1994).

Shields, Dorothy and Samuel

  • Family
  • [19--] - [19--]
Dorothy and Samuel Shields lived in Bedford, Nova Scotia, during the 1940s and 1950s. Samuel owned a barber shop in Halifax’s Roy Building; his wife Dorothy was born in Bermuda and moved to Nova Scotia after they married. The couple participated in local organizations, including the Canadian Authors Association and the Nova Scotia Centre of the Poetry Society. Dorothy Shields served a three-year presidency of the Poetry Society and wrote poems and articles, a number of which were published locally. Her work was also featured in an anthology called Chapbooks. She was also active in politics and served as president of the provincial Women's Liberal Association.

Smith family

  • Family

The Smith family of Halifax is best known for owning and operating prominent companies including A.M and Company, a Halifax-based fish merchant.

Family members include Lousie Smith and her daughters Olive Winifred and Clauda Louise Smith. Olive traveled in Europe, specifically Switzerland, and lived with her Clauda and Louise for most of her life. Olive Smith studied at both Acadia Seminary and Dalhousie University from which she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in 1911.

Steve and Lisa Monk

  • Family
Steve and Lisa Monk were associated with the Centre for Art Tapes in 1987 because of their involvement a benefit. An audio recording, “CFAT Benefit- July 11, 1987” is a part of CFAT’s tape collection.