Fonds UA-27 - Dalhousie Faculty Association fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Dalhousie Faculty Association fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

UA-27

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1948-2005 (Creation)
    Creator
    Dalhousie Faculty Association

Physical description area

Physical description

1.5 metres of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1951-)

Administrative history

The Dalhousie Faculty Association (DFA) originated in 1951 as an informal alliance of professors primarily concerned with low salaries and their mistrust of the university’s senior administration. By the mid-1970s its officers represented senior faculty members from across the disciplines and the association had established the Dalhousie Faculty Club, in which it held its meetings.

In 1978 the DFA proposed that the Board of Governors grant the association the right to collective bargaining by voluntary recognition. Rejected by the Board, the DFA moved to apply for certification from the Nova Scotia Labour Relations Board under the Trade Union Act, and in November 1978 the DFA was officially certified as the union representing the interests of all Dalhousie professors and professional librarians in the matters of employer-employee relations.

The DFA is affiliated with the Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT). Currently the union represents more than 900 faculty, professional librarians and counselors working at Dalhousie University in both Halifax and Truro, Nova Scotia.

Custodial history

Records in this fonds were donated to the Dalhousie University Archives in 1992 by R.S. Rodger, professor of psychology at Dalhousie University and president of the DFA from 1978-1979. Other records were transferred from Nova Scotia Archives and from the Dalhousie University Libraries fonds (UA-23).

Scope and content

Fonds contains records of the Dalhousie Faculty Association, including administrative correspondence from the DFA's formative years and records documenting the negotiation of their first contract in 1978. There is also an incomplete series of DFA newsletters and committee records.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Fonds was previously identified as MS-2-631.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Name access points

Accession area