This poultry plucking machine patent was issued on July 4th, 1944 to Angus Edward Banting, Truro, NS. Banting signed all his rights, title and interest of the invention over to the Department of Agriculture and Marketing of the Province of Nova Scotia. https://www.dal.ca/about-dal/dalhousie-originals/edward-angus-banting.html Edward Angus Banting (1908-1966) was a visionary who understood the importance of innovation and technology and its application to the field of agriculture. That spark of ingenuity and inventiveness ran in the family: Banting, born in Ontario in 1908, was the nephew of Sir Frederick Banting, the Canadian Nobel laureate and co-discoverer of insulin as a treatment for diabetes. After earning his Engineering degree and Education diploma at the Ontario Agricultural College, the younger Banting taught high school before moving to Nova Scotia to become the first professor of agricultural engineering at the former Nova Scotia Agricultural College. In addition to establishing the field of agricultural engineering in the province, he was a leader in land drainage and marshland reclamation and a founding member of the Canadian Farm Building Plan Service in Truro. But it wasn’t until World War II that he had the opportunity to truly leave his mark. It was a time when women were taking on an increasing amount of leadership on the family farm, with their husbands off to war. Suddenly, tasks once socialized as gender-specific became universal, challenging farmers and farm industrialists to develop new techniques and technologies. Professor Banting, on his part, focused on improving the messy and unpleasant task of plucking chickens. Together with his fellow engineers at what is now Dal’s Agricultural Campus, he invented a simple and inexpensive poultry plucking device, constructed from easily accessible materials. You can find the 1944 patent for his device today in the Agricola Collection in the MacRae Library. Perhaps what’s most notable about it is that no royalties were charged: anyone who wanted a copy of the plans could secure a set for twenty-five cents at the time. Requests for the machine came in from all over Canada, parts of the U.S, a number of European countries and at least one from Asia and several from Australia. In 1945, Banting was reporting that at least 20 requests were coming in per week. It’s an example of the innovative thinking and leadership that garnered Banting international acclaim. He capitalized on available resources — both human and machine — to improve an agricultural process through technology and innovation. His legacy lives on not only through the values of Dal’s Agricultural Campus, but the physical campus itself: with the Agricultural Engineering building that bears his name.
This collection contains 28 volumes of poetry written by Douglas Lochhead between 1959 and 2009. The volumes of poems are published, pre-publication and never published manuscripts. Most volumes are signed by the author and have an inscription to Peter and Mary Sanger. Mr. Sanger and Mr. Lochhead were colleagues and close friends.
This fonds contains records and artifacts that were created by the MacRae Library of the Nova Scotia Agricultural College between 1990-2012. The Nova Scotia Agricultural College merged with Dalhousie University in 2012.
This file contains 25 exam papers given between the junior and senior year for subjects associated with agriculture at the Nova Scotia Agricultural College. Exam papers are mostly typed and cover a range of topics from entomology, dairy, animal husbandry, commercial law, mathematics, and English literature. The exams are annotated and scribbled over and appear to mainly belong to one student Glen Stephen Ells. One exam paper in particular shows strategy planning for a hockey game on the reverse of which Ells was a team-member. Further research on Ells shows him mentioned in early NSAC student papers as having joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force during WWI in summer 1915 and was sent to Great Britain and then Europe via Val Cartier, PQ. As part of a machine gun company he was killed in action in September 1916. All of his service records including training, transfers, will etc are available online at Library and Archives Canada ( ELLS, GLENN STEPHEN; Regimental No: 415526)
This collection consists of one time capsule that contains documents, realia, and photographs that were created by or about the Farm Equipment Museum located on the Provincial Exhibition grounds in Bible Hill, Nova Scotia. There is an inventory created by the Farm Equipment Museum and 2 keys; one key will be retained by the Farm Equipment Museum and the other key with Agricola. Special Conditions: The materials have been inventoried and can be viewed and reproduced for research purposes; copyright is retained by the original creators. The time capsule fire safe box and all its contents will be transferred back to the Farm Equipment Museum Board or equivalent body on the 31st day of May, 2050.
This fonds consists of photographs, campus publications, patches and a class ring from Mr. Estabrooks’ education and graduation from the Nova Scotia Agricultural College (1960-1962). The fonds also contains correspondence, photographs, and “Memories : then and now : autobiographies of the class of 1962 : a look at the past 42 years : Nova Scotia Agricultural College” from Alumni Relations for the 40th and 50th year class reunions.
This file is a copy of the Nova Scotia Association of Garden Clubs History Update 2009- 2014 by Arthur Haskins, Historian. The Nova Scotia Association of Garden Clubs became an entity in 1954 as the result of the work of the Rural Beautification Project Committee. In 1944, the Rural Beautification Committee was appointed by the Honorable John A. MacDonald, minister of Agriculture, to come up with a plan for rural beautification projects. Mr. Nick Jankov, a Landscape Specialist, began working with the Agricultural Representatives, Women’s Institutes, Home and School Associations and Service Clubs, to begin formulating a long term plan for Rural Beautification around the province. The Nova Scotia Association of Garden Clubs (NSAGC) is made up of garden clubs and horticultural societies from all areas of Nova Scotia. The NSAGC is the coordinating body for organized gardening groups in the province and is guided by an elected board of directors, whose members come from the different districts of Nova Scotia. The district representative, also known as the district director, serves as the link between the individual clubs and the NSAGC board. The main objective of the NSAGC is to promote the general landscape beautification of the Province of Nova Scotia, by promoting community beautification and encouraging the formation of horticultural groups (garden clubs) which will procure interest in all phases of home gardening and ornamental horticulture in their areas.
Collection contains pamphlets "Some Common Animal Diseases" and "Grafting for Nova Scotia Orchards"; Animals' Treatment First Aid; transcripts from broadcast #20 and #21 of "The Vanishing Flock" and "Sheep have an important place in Nova Scotia Agriculture. Leaflet No. 9"
Collection consists of material related to farm and rural life. Mainly historical accounts of farm life and agricultural management in Nova Scotia. Also includes farm diaries [Zabud MacKay (1832-1918) - Malagash, NS], memoirs of John Murphy (Cream pick-up driver), accounts of rural life, etc. Also included is a report on rural policy reform.
This series contains 53 books, 8 booklets, and 164 cm of other textual and graphic material related to agriculture, which includes related organizations, industries, machinery, research, products, livestock, harvesting, management, crops, etc. These were published between 1846-2000.
Fonds consists of ten notebooks, a file of correspondence, and photographs and negatives of landscapes, geological samples and group pictures taken in Europe and Canada. Many of the records were created during a geological survey of Canada undertaken by Frank Dawson Adams and W.A. Carlyle.
Fonds consists of two farm ledgers (1894-1936 and 1899-1906), one farm inventory (1899), one notebook containing estate inventories and administrative accounts (1837-1875), and one notebook containing a weather diary (1949). Fonds also contains minutes from two Master of Rights Lodge meetings held in 1931.
File contains a bill of lading dated November 26, 1892, a letter written to Lemuel Publicover by Elias Sampson on January 1, 1894, a receipt issued by M.J. Bates on July 26, 1896, and a receipt issued by John White and Company on June 30, 1896.
File consists of a minute book of meetings from 1918 to 1927. The minutes record hymns sung, monies received and spent, activities undertaken, and changes in membership. The file also includes two loose reports and correspondence regarding bond purchases.
Ladies' Aid Society of Central Presbyterian Church, La Have, Nova Scotia.
Item is the logbook of the tern schooner Vincent A. White on voyages from Lunenburg, Nova Scotia to Glasgow, Scotland (June 26 to November 7, 1923) and Lunenburg to Havana, Cuba (February 14 to April 2, 1924).
Fonds consists of records regarding a wide range of activities of the Halifax branch of the Engineering Institute of Canada, including administrative deliberations, recognition and management of members, meetings, educational initiatives and financial management. The fonds contains correspondences, minutes of meetings, administrative records, financial statements, photographs and others textual records.
Item is the premiere issue (Vol. 1, No. 1) of "The Comet," a handwritten newspaper published in Osborne, Nova Scotia on January 19, 1900. The issue covers topics such as the Boer War, county news, gossip and poetry.
Item is Pictou County Notary Public John McLeod's registery book of protests documenting declarations by ships' masters of circumstances beyond their control which may have given rise to loss or damages.
Fonds consists primarily of correspondence from the period during which Weldon was a Member of Parliament, and includes personal and business letters. There are also telegrams, bills, invoices, and a geometry textbook from Weldon's studies at Mount Allison. Also included are prints of family photographs, circa 1870's-1890's.
Fonds contains various records from the many different activities, organisations and associations of which Balcom was a part. Balcom played an important role in organising reunions of those who served at the No. 7 Stationary Hospital, and amassed several photographs and other records of these events. He retained records and newspaper clippings reflecting his involvement in clubs and associations.
Accession consists of incoming and outgoing correspondence of Theodore Ross. Materials primarily concern agricultural and personal matters, Dalhousie's anniversary, capital campaign, and student residents at Pine Hill.
Fonds contains the personal papers, photographs, and sound recordings of Barbara Hinds. The personal papers mostly consist of research material, drafts of articles, and newspaper clippings of articles related to Barbara Hinds' journalism career, but also include correspondence, research notes, diaries, maps, and manuscripts. The sound recordings were mostly created during Barbara Hinds' travels in the Canadian arctic and include several interviews. The photographs include prints, slides, negatives, and proof sheets, and were mostly taken in the Canadian arctic but also include research material and personal photographs.
Fonds comprises records that illustrate Joan Gilroy's professional life as an educator and a practitioner of social work, with particular reference to feminism and social justice issues in the academy and across the wider community. Record series indicate the scope of her work, encompassing teaching, research and community outreach, while record types include correspondence, memoranda, research and teaching notes, manuscripts, reports, committee minutes and agendas.
Fonds consists of various personal records, including correspondence, scrapbooks, photographs, slides, negatives, an artifact, and legal and financial records. Some business records from Oland and Son Limited and its affiliated companies are also included.
MS-2-137, SF Box 19, Folder 8; SF Box 27, Folders 1-2
Fonds consists of promissary notes, an order from David M. Lead to Charles Irving, and cheques. These materials date between 1858-1879. The fonds also contains agreements from 1863-1876 as well as business correspondence.
Item is a letter from W.E. Faulkner to his Aunt Jessie in Pictou, Nova Scotia. The letter makes reference to the mining strikes of the previous year, as well as correspondences with other family members in Moncton, New Brunswick, Boston, and Manila.
File contains two indentures evidencing the sale of lands in Pictou County. The first indenture (dated 1875) records a land sale from Robert Moran to John Ives Meagher. The second indenture (dated 1876) records a sale from Alexander and Sarah A. McKenzie to John Ives Meagher.