File contains three letters from Reverend James Rosborough to Mrs. Pearson, in which he describes the death of his daughter, identifies plant specimens sent to him by her, and discusses matters related to the Presbyterian Church.
File contains papers of the SS Corfu Island, including a survey of the vessel from March 4, 1953, a list of crew members from July 11, 1957 to May 14, 1960, and miscellaneous papers from 1956, 1961, and 1962.
File contains a seven page handwritten memoranda from a deed of settlement of the Bank of British North America (May 28, 1836). The deed of settlement was negotiated for the purpose of establishing banks in the British colonies of North America. File also contains four blank forms for transferring shares.
This file contains a letter to the members of the United Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees & Railway Shop Labourers Local 396 written by the President Allan Barker in 1919. As well this file includes the wage agreement for The Railway Association of Canada, a working card for the United Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees & Railway Shop Labourers, and a income tax return slip.
United Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees & Railway Shop Labourers Local 396.
File consists of a minute book of meetings from 1918 to 1927. The minutes record hymns sung, monies received and spent, activities undertaken, and changes in membership. The file also includes two loose reports and correspondence regarding bond purchases.
Ladies' Aid Society of Central Presbyterian Church, La Have, Nova Scotia.
File contains nine drawings of the Dalhousie University mace created by R.L. de C.H. Saunders, a Dalhousie University Professor of Anatomy who designed the mace in 1949. The drawings illustrate details of various parts of the mace. The mace was carved by former Deputy Mayor of Halifax A.H. Macmillan. It is used during convocation ceremonies and stored in University Hall.
This file contains Lily Fraser Cameron's scrapbook created from her attendance at the Nova Scotia Agricultural College. It contains a combination of: - NSAC commencement booklets from 1 May 1940, 30 April 1941, 29 April 1942, 22 April 1943. - Black and White photographs - Newspaper clippings relating to NSAC academics and sports, as well as WWII - Personal letters, postcards, and greeting cards from family and friends - NSAC "winged" crest (sew/iron-on) - Dried flowers and dance cards - Acceptance letter dated May 29142 from the McDonald College of McGill University (stating her as the first female NSAC graduate to attend the agriculture program at McDonald College).
File comprises four letters sent from Fred Thompson to John Bell between July and October, 1976. The letters provide a recounting of Thompson's time in Halifax as a labourer and labour activist and reveal an ongoing discussion between Bell and Thompson regarding labour issues and labour history.
File contains a letter from E.E Johnston to Leo McKay regarding information requested by McKay about Johnston's grandfather, William H. Johnston. Enclosed is a 1937 article from The Machinist's Journal regarding the life and death of William Johnston.
File contains three letters from Arthur Doughty, written when he was joint librarian of the Legislative Library. The letters primarily discuss the shipping of books to John Stewart McLennan, but also make reference to an exhibit curated by Doughty and some historical letters regarding Louisbourg.
File consists of three notebooks (ca. 1887-1894) of lecture notes on geography, advanced German, literature, and psychology. It also includes Mima Liechti's notebook (1866-1869) recording visits made and/or received and lists of members and adherents of Signature Hall.
File consists of three letters to participants in the 1934 American Seminar, a lecture series initiated by American Protestant leader Sherwood Eddy to introduce American thinkers to political, economic and ecclesiastical European leaders. The letters describe the content of film images available for use by seminarians in illustrated lectures.
Fonds consists of three microfilm reels of business records and a photocopied excerpt of a furniture catalogue. No original materials are included . Materials include three volumes of ledgers (1880-1904), bills of lading (1886-1898), correspondence (1884, 1896-1897, 1891, 1915, 1922), mail contracts (1870-1871, 1881, 1883-1885), lists of voters (1890-1892, 1898, 1899), and engravings of furniture by Glendyer Mills (1875-1877).
This poultry plucking machine patent was issued on July 4th, 1944 to Angus Edward Banting, Truro, NS. Banting signed all his rights, title and interest of the invention over to the Department of Agriculture and Marketing of the Province of Nova Scotia. https://www.dal.ca/about-dal/dalhousie-originals/edward-angus-banting.html Edward Angus Banting (1908-1966) was a visionary who understood the importance of innovation and technology and its application to the field of agriculture. That spark of ingenuity and inventiveness ran in the family: Banting, born in Ontario in 1908, was the nephew of Sir Frederick Banting, the Canadian Nobel laureate and co-discoverer of insulin as a treatment for diabetes. After earning his Engineering degree and Education diploma at the Ontario Agricultural College, the younger Banting taught high school before moving to Nova Scotia to become the first professor of agricultural engineering at the former Nova Scotia Agricultural College. In addition to establishing the field of agricultural engineering in the province, he was a leader in land drainage and marshland reclamation and a founding member of the Canadian Farm Building Plan Service in Truro. But it wasn’t until World War II that he had the opportunity to truly leave his mark. It was a time when women were taking on an increasing amount of leadership on the family farm, with their husbands off to war. Suddenly, tasks once socialized as gender-specific became universal, challenging farmers and farm industrialists to develop new techniques and technologies. Professor Banting, on his part, focused on improving the messy and unpleasant task of plucking chickens. Together with his fellow engineers at what is now Dal’s Agricultural Campus, he invented a simple and inexpensive poultry plucking device, constructed from easily accessible materials. You can find the 1944 patent for his device today in the Agricola Collection in the MacRae Library. Perhaps what’s most notable about it is that no royalties were charged: anyone who wanted a copy of the plans could secure a set for twenty-five cents at the time. Requests for the machine came in from all over Canada, parts of the U.S, a number of European countries and at least one from Asia and several from Australia. In 1945, Banting was reporting that at least 20 requests were coming in per week. It’s an example of the innovative thinking and leadership that garnered Banting international acclaim. He capitalized on available resources — both human and machine — to improve an agricultural process through technology and innovation. His legacy lives on not only through the values of Dal’s Agricultural Campus, but the physical campus itself: with the Agricultural Engineering building that bears his name.