File MS-1-Ref, Box 1, Folder 3 - Inaugural lecture delivered at the opening of the third summer session of the Medical Faculty of Dalhousie College and University

Open original Digital Object

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Inaugural lecture delivered at the opening of the third summer session of the Medical Faculty of Dalhousie College and University

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

File

Reference code

MS-1-Ref, Box 1, Folder 3

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • April 11, 1870 (Creation)
    Creator
    Lawson, George

Physical description area

Physical description

8 p. of textual records ; 14.5 x 21 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1827–1895)

Biographical history

George Lawson was born 12 October 1827 at Newport, Scotland, to Alexander Lawson and Margaret McEwan. He was married first to Lucy Stapley (d. 1871) of Edinburgh, with whom he had two daughters. In 1876, five years after Stapley's death, he married Caroline Matilda Knox, née Jordan, in Halifax.
Lawson was initally apprenticed to a soliciter, but was moved to study the natural and physical sciences at the University of Edinburgh. He received his DPhil from the University of Giessen and moved to Canada in 1858 to take up an appointment as professor of chemistry and natural history at Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario. During his time at Queen's he founded the Botanical Society of Canada (1860).
In 1863 Lawson left Queen's to join the newly reorganized Dalhousie College as professor of chemistry and mineralogy, where he introduced laboratory work and field trips into his classes. Lawson lectured at the Halifax Medical College, helped to organize the Technological Institute of Halifax (1877), and was an avid supporter of the Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science (later the Nova Scotian Institute of Science). He was a charter member of the Royal Society of Canada, serving as its president in 1887–1888, and was involved in overseas organizations such as London's Royal Horticultural Society. Lawson died of a stroke in 1895.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Item is an inaugural lecture delivered by chemistry professor George Lawson at the opening of the third summer session of Dalhousie College's medical faculty. The lecture has been transcribed and published in pamphlet form.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Digital Object (Master) rights area

Digital Object (Reference) rights area

Digital Object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Physical Location

  • Box: MS-1-Ref, Box 1