Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Halifax Medical College Library
- Dalhousie University. Faculty of Medicine. Medical-Dental Library.
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The W. K. Kellogg Health Sciences Library at Dalhousie University holds the University Libraries' biomedical collections. The Kellogg Library provides services to the Faculties of Dentistry, Health Professions, Medicine and serves health professionals throughout the Maritime provinces.
In 1864 Doctor Charles Cogswell donated his personal medical library to the Medical Society of Nova Scotia envisioning it to belong to a medical college and used as a resource to practitioners in Nova Scotia. It became known as the Cogswell Collection and the library known as the Cogswell Memorial Library which was located in the City Hospital then moved to the Halifax Medical College circa 1875. The Medical College closed in 1910 and was later re-opened at Dalhousie College under the Faculty of Medicine. The library moved from the Halifax Visiting Dispensatory to the Forrest Building in 1915. That year, a lawsuit about ownership of the college was brought up between the Medical College and Dalhousie; the lawsuit was resolved in a manner that allowed Dalhousie to maintain control over the collection.
With the growth of the medical college and the addition of the Faculty of Dentistry, the library’s collection grew and the need came for larger facilities. The Medical-Dental Library was opened in 1937 in a brick building, where the Tupper building currently stands.
The WK. Kellogg Health Sciences Library opened in its current location on July 14, 1967 after the completion of the Sir Charles Tupper Medical Building on College Street in Halifax Nova Scotia. The library was named after philanthropist and entrepreneur William Keith Kellogg, after the W.K. Kellogg Foundation donated $420,000.00 to help establish a library for all the health sciences.
M. Doreen Fraser served as head from 1967 to 1972. Subsequent heads include Alan MacDonald (1972-1977): Barbara Prince (1977-1979); Ann Manning (1979-1989); Elizabeth "Betty" Sutherland (1990-2004); Patrick Ellis (2005-2016); and Ann Barrett (2016-present). In 1986, the Kellogg Library became part of the Dalhousie University Libraries system, previously it had been part of the Faculty of Medicine. In December 2015, the Kellogg Library was temporarily relocated to the Chapter House while renovations were completed in the Sir Charles Tupper Medical Building. In January 2016, the Kellogg Library opened a learning commons in the newly constructed Collaborative Health Education Building (CHEB), which adjoins the Sir Charles Tupper Building. In January 2017, the Kellogg Library moved back into its renovated location in the Sir Charles Tupper Building.
The original Cogswell Collection is now located in the Special Collections Department of the Killam Library.