Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The first reference to the Department of Medicine in the Dalhousie University calendars is in 1933-1934, where Dr. K.A. MacKenzie is identified as the Head of the Department under "Medicine" and "Clinical Medicine." In previous calendars (since 1870), a medical teaching program was referenced, but there was no indication that it was organized as a department. In 1933, the undergraduate teaching program was at the Victoria General Hospital and interns received medical training there and at the Camp Hill Hospital and the Halifax Infirmary. After Dr. MacKenzie retired in 1945, he was succeeded by Dr. C.W. Holland (1945-1952), and then by a committee consisting of Dr. Charles W. Beckwith, Dr. Robert M. MacDonald, and Dr. Lea C. Stevens (1952-1956). In 1956, Dr. Robert Clark Dickson was appointed Head of the Department and stayed in this position until his retirement in 1974.
The Department of Medicine currently consists of 15 divisions: Cardiology, Clinical Dermatology and Cutaneous Science, Digestive Care and Endoscopy, Endocrinology and Metabolism, General Internal Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, Hematology, Infectious Diseases, Medical Oncology, Nephrology, Neurology, Palliative Medicine, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Resiprology, and Rheumatology.