Fonds MS-4-253 - Harza Engineering Company fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Harza Engineering Company fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MS-4-253

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1955-1976, predominant 1960-1976 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.1 m of textual records. - -- 12 photographs.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Harza Engineering Company was founded by Leroy F. Harza in 1920 with its main office in Chicago, Illinois. An independent engineering and consulting firm, it specialized in the development and use of water, power, and land resources. Among its areas of expertise were regional planning, specifically water control, power, irrigation flood control, agricultural production, and transportation. It worked extensively in both the energy and environmental sectors of the engineering industry, and the company is perhaps best known for its work on hydroelectric power development.

During the period covered by the records in this collection, Calvin V. Davis served as the chairman of the company. E. Montford Fucik became the President of Harza and Arthur P. Gauss the Executive Vice President in 1963. Charles MacLennan, donor of these papers, served as a Vice President as well. From the 1950s to 1970s Harza employed over 400 people, most of whom were graduate engineers, scientists, and registered professional engineers.

On October 6, 2000, Harza Engineering and Montgomery Watson announced their intent to merge. The company is now called MWH, and based in Pasadena, California.

Custodial history

The collection was originally maintained by Charles MacLennan and donated by Chesley Haliburton on September 14, 1981.

Scope and content

The records in this collection deal primarily with the energy sector, and, more specifically, hydroelectric power. Many records detail the company's attempts to start a hydroelectric project on the Bay of Fundy. Some records pertain to projects in the rest of Canada and generally to Harza itself.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

During processing, the Archives imposed thematic and chronological order on the records, whose original order was not consistent.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Preferred citation: [Identification of item], Harza Engineering Company fonds, MS-4-253, Box [box number], Folder [folder number], Dalhousie University Archives and Special Collections, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area