Fonds UA-26 - Institute of Public Affairs fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Institute of Public Affairs fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Sound recording
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

UA-26

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1890-1996 (Creation)
    Creator
    Dalhousie University. Institute of Public Affairs

Physical description area

Physical description

19.7 m of textual records and other material. - 7 photographs. - 10 audio reels.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1936-2003)

Administrative history

The Institute of Public Affairs (IPA) was founded in 1936 by Lothar Richter and Dalhousie University through a grant from the Rockefeller Foundation in recognition of the need for greater regional economic and social development. It began as an experimental organization, intended to make connections between Dalhousie University and the community and the social sciences and public policy. The IPA’s primary areas of activity were government, business, labour and community, with a focus on public administration.

Guy Henson was appointed director in 1957 with a mandate to reorganize the IPA. Under his guidance, the institute broadened its socio-economic research programs, including the Africville Relocation Project and significant work in labour-management relations.

In 1977 Kell Antoft succeeded Henson and in 1980 the institute moved into its own building, the Henson Centre, named in honour of the efforts of its former director. In 1984 the Henson Centre, the IPA and the Office of Part Time Studies of Extension were amalgamated to create the Henson College of Public Affairs and Continuing Education. Funding for Henson College was discontinued in 1993 by Dalhousie University, which led to a decrease in the college's activities. In 2003 Henson College was amalgamated with the College of Continuing Education (CCE).

The Institute of Public Affairs maintained its own library, with holdings of more than 18,000 items, which covered topics such as economic development, local government, industrial relations, management development and labour organization. Beginning in 1984 the institute's library was gradually integrated into Dalhousie University Libraries.

Custodial history

The records remained in the custody of the Institute of Public Affairs and its affiliates until they were transferred to the Dalhousie University Archives. Donald MacLean (an affiliate of the Institute of Public Affairs) transferred materials in accessions in 1981, 1989, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1997, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, and 2010. Not all records from those accessions are described in this finding aid.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of textual records created and accumulated by various groups and organizations within the Institute of Public Affairs.. Records include articles, correspondence, minutes, memos, newspaper and magazine clippings, interviews, field notes, pamphlets and reports. Many of the documents pertain to the internal operations of the IPA.

The fonds also contains research proposals and reports related to energy, community growth, urban and rural development, labour studies, education, economic and industrial development, the medical sector and housing. There is significant work on the health, employment and economic status of African Nova Scotians.

The fonds also contains reference material kept by the IPA in its corporate library, which was used in the research and drafting of various reports.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

The arrangement structure was determined by the processing archivists; the series are subject-based to facilitate access for researchers.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some administrative files and research files containing personal information are closed until June 30, 2040.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Materials do not circulate and must be used in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room.

Finding aids

Associated materials

See also the Kell Antoft fonds (MS-2-743) and the Guy Henson fonds (MS-2-373).

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are not expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Genre access points

Accession area